God on money

"Congress only adopted "In God We Trust" as the national motto in 1956, when American leaders sought to distinguish the United States from the communist Soviet Union. By invoking belief in a monotheistic divinity, however, Congress divided the American populace along religious lines by reinforcing the outsider status of the nation's many nonbelievers, as well as members of minority religions that do not recognize a monotheistic god (including, for example, Buddhists and Hindus). Polls show that 16% of Americans have no religious identity, while over 40 million Americans do not identify with the motto's monotheistic God.

A far better motto for the nation is the Latin motto adopted in 1782 as part of the national seal: "E Pluribus Unum," or "Out of many, one." America's original motto accurately describes the nation as a unity comprising people from many religious perspectives."

Do you agree that congress divided the American populace along religious lines by putting "In God We Trust" on our currency?

Do you think it should remain on our currency, or would you prefer to only see "E Pluribus Unum"? Please explain your answer.

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Proof that we ARE and ALWAYS HAVE BEEN a Christian nation!

Please, I am Christian, but we can not lay claim to an entire nation- it really ignores the reality of the intent of the FF- there are some awesome books that document the struggles the FF had in writing our founding documents to ensure that we have freedom OF religion-

The pledge, the money, God Bless America does not stipulate only a Christian God-

As important as my Faith is to me- I simply can not say that my Faith is more valid than someone elses- of course its more valid to ME-but I can not extend that to an entire country-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The motto's been there for what seems like forever, so it isn't something that really takes precedence over the many things I'd like to see change in the country. However, I would like for them to stop printing new money with the motto and phase it out with the old money. It really is a slap in the face to our citizens who hold no belief in god. The majority religion here in the states is Christianity, but that in no way, shape, or form makes it a Christian nation. We are a nation of many, many religions, beliefs, and faiths, and not all of those believe in a god.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• But what you're not understanding is that it is not dead in the water. The court is refusing to hear the case, because they know what they will have to rule when they do. But they can only come up with so many excuses not to hear it. And like I said, Newdow will not give up. Eventually he will overcome all their objections, and they will have to hear his case. When that day comes, your god will not be listed on my money.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Q1: i think Americans would be divide along religions no matter what. humans really like to label & divide themselves. i think there was already a divide before the motto was changed, but that this type of thing does add fuel to the fire.
    Q2: it doesnt keep me up at night & i will never be one to go out & protest it, but if it was put to a vote id vote to change it back to the original motto. it was a way better motto anyway!

and cbk, the "proof" you provide for this being a Christian Nation isnt only laughable, but the power point show i read was pathetic. its so full of backwards interpretations of letters & quotes & takes things so out of context it would take me 3-4 posts just to point all the fallacies. it relies on the fact that most of the FFs claimed Christianity to prove its point, but there are so many letters/documents that prove the FFs intentions were not to cultivate a Christian society & it just ignores them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree with Pam. I'm not sure that this one issue is the cause of the divide in our country, but I would say there is definitely a divide. And although I do think it should be removed from our money, I don't think it is a pressing issue. There are many other things that need attention, above what it says on our money.

However, Michael Newdow, (Or "That Atheist" as cbk so lovingly put it) is only trying to enforce the constitution. If we let the little things slip thru the cracks, it only opens the gap wider for larger and larger issues to seep thru.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• (quote: my2.5boys) "But what you're not understanding is that it is not dead in the water. The court is refusing to hear the case, because they know what they will have to rule when they do. But they can only come up with so many excuses not to hear it. And like I said, Newdow will not give up. Eventually he will overcome all their objections, and they will have to hear his case. When that day comes, your god will not be listed on my money."

------------------

Because I can't give you two "up votes":

clapping

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 5:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Do you agree that congress divided the American populace along religious lines by putting "In God We Trust" on our currency?

Maybe. There a lot of things that divide us though. Personally, I think I've noticed the religious division and a general urban vs. rural division most of all when it comes to politics.

Do you think it should remain on our currency, or would you prefer to only see "E Pluribus Unum"?

I'd prefer it wasn't on there, and I do like E Pluribus Unum better. I haven't traditionally made a big deal about it with law makers personally, but I would support its removal if it was suggested. Unfortunately, *most* of the 'majority' don't seem to mind that it doesn't represent everyone's beliefs though.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Seems to me, this country,now more than ever is returning to a Christian nation.

--

For some reason, I missed reading this comment when I answered earlier. This country has NEVER been a 'Christian Nation'. Most of the founding fathers were Deists, and many were particularly opposed to Christian doctrine. Plus, Christians don't have a monopoly on the word 'God' anyway.

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion...."~from the Treaty of Tripoli, 1796

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• (quote: cbk_mom3) Actually, the link on the 1st page shows that the SCOTUS did indeed already hear this case,and flatly rejected it. So, not sure when you think this great event will take place,but it doesn't sound like very soon in the future.
    -------------------
    The rejected it on procedural grounds, saying that Newdow did not have a right to bring the suit because he did not have custody of his daughter. They did not actually make any kind of decision on the case regarding whether or not is is unconstitutional.

You should do some research on this subject using legitimate, unbiased historical sources (unlike the one you posted above) as most of what I've read from you has been full of inaccuracies and misinformation.

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 5:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• They rejected to hear the case, they did not rule on whether it is unconstitutional or not. He can, and will bring the case again and again until they actually decide to hear it, and make a ruling. And when that happens they will have no choice but to rule that having In God we Trust on the money, is indeed unconstitutional, and it will be removed.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011