S/O of "is it lazy to hire a housekeeper if you're a SAHM?"...

Do you feel it's lazy to hire a nanny if you're a SAHM?

I was recently watching an episode of "Real Housewives" and saw that some of the sahm's have nannies, and it got me to thinking...

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• if you are a sahm then yes it would be very lazy !! what the crap do you do during the day sit on your butt while other people watch your kids an clean your house?! really?! i am a sahm mom and seriously i dont mind cleaning my house or tending to MY children!!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 1:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think if you are a sahm it would be lazy to hire a nanny or a housekeeper unless you had tons of kids. Just my opinion though. I would feel weird having someone else in my home cleaning or playing with my kid while I was here.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• sahm = stay at home mom.....and I think it would be very lazy to hire a nanny if you are one....I am a SAHM and have a young son home with me all day...my house gets cleaned and he helps clean it up.
    kdunker

Answer by kdunker at 1:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If you're a SAHM, you're taking care of your kids. If you hire a nanny, that makes you lazy, definately. The only time I think it would be acceptable for a mom to have maid or a nanny is if the mom had a disability which kept her from these things.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think it's ridiculous to be a SAHM and hire a nanny. Really, if you are paying someone else to take care of your kids then why in the world are you staying home? The only way where I can see this as feasible is for those moms who have multiples. I imagine if you had four or five little ones at once a little help would be welcome. For the average SAHM, sorry, but part of that role is taking care of your own kids.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• As a SAHM, I would never use a nanny but could definitely use a cleaning lady.
    Anonymous

• Yes!! However I guess if I was rich and could afford to pay someone to clean my house then I probably would but a Nanny..NO!!
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think on occasion, as being a SAHM can be just as exhausting as working out in the field. But on an every day basis, it does look ridiculous. I guess it's whatever fits best for your family though. I am a SAHM of 2 girls, and sometimes I would just LOVE to have a nanny lol
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My dh's former boss had two nannies and a housekeeper. His wife was a sahm. I have to admit, I thought it was lazy. She whined and complained about how tough she had it, yet she could go off and go shopping and to movies, etc whenever she damn well pleased! Meanwhile I worked part-time on weekends and took care of house and kids during the week.

I can see maybe having someone come in once or twice a month to do some really good cleaning, and then mainiainting it the rest of the time, or having a sitter come by occasionally to watch the kids, but if you sah, why not pay attention to your kids and put some effort into your job? That's jmho.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Personally I could not handle having someone else in my house taking care of my kids if I am home and capable of doing it. hiring a babysitter OCCASIONALLY or even one night a week for a night out, that's different. Hiring a "nanny" who is there with your kids full time, not for me. Now there are some "SAHMs" who could use a nanny. I see them all the time. The ones who have more than 3 kids with very busy schedules, they might use a little help lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011