Saltwater aquarium... Has anyone got one? Is it hard to maintain?

Hello! I've been thinking of getting a small, 2ft by 1ft tank for saltwater fish. I understand it can be a bit expensive to setup, but I've been told it's pretty smooth going after the initial setup, care wise. It will mainly be for my kids, Troy, 3yrs in July, Tiffy who'll be 5yrs this Oct, and Marshall who'll be 8yrs in Sept. I'll be doing all of the cleaning though. LOL.

LaraHappyMummy

Asked by LaraHappyMummy at 1:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Pets

• yes it is hard to maintain just try plain water all you have to do is keep it clean and fresh from marivel718@yahoo.com
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• They are really expensive and require CONSTANT upkeep. It's not easy to get the water right either, and sometimes it will get 'off' and kill all the fish and you have to start over!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It's not easy at all. And it's expensive all the time. It's a lot of work as well. Personally, I wasn't willing to buy anymore fish because they are so expensive to just die.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You need at least a 30 gallon tank to properly set up a saltwater tank, and a 50 gallon is better (ideal for most homes unless you are really into them).

You have to seed a saltwater tank, and that takes time. You WILL lose a lot of fish at first, so buy the cheapest. Once you have a good bacterial base, saltwater tanks are far easier than fresh water to maintain. The salt doesn't evaporate, only the water. As long as you control algae and add water as needed, there is very little work if you take the time to set up initially. Plan on roughly 5-6 months ... and then you can get the pretty fish.

It is expensive, but even a freshwater tank is expensive at this point. I always preferred salt water to fresh water, but do some research before you start and ask questions at a decent supplier. If they won't answer your questions they aren't worth spending your money at!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011