How do i get my kids to stop lying to me?

i try to get my kids to understand how important the trith is to me and i show them and remind them all the time how much trouble they get into when they lie and how nothing really happens when they tell the truth but they still dont get it and actually it bothers me mayb more then of because of a childhood situation and i wasnt believed so telling the truth is more important then they think but i think they r to young to explain except mayb my oldest and so i did tell him and hes says now that he knowws he will try harded

flipper4u21

Asked by flipper4u21 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Stop scaring them by telling them they will get into trouble if they lie, cuz I'm sure that lie is better than what they actually did. I would lie to you too. Be open with them, and reward them when they do tell the truth,
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 1:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My mom sat me down when I was young and told me that she "didn't respect liars and she didn't like them at all." Who doesn't want their mother's respect and love? I told a few more lies after that but immediately felt guilty and told her the truth.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• What worked with mine was from the time they were small they knew the punishment for telling the truth was much more lenient then anything theyd get for lying. So lets say my son got a D on a grade. If he told me the truth he might get grounded a couple of days and have me on his butt until the grade came up. If he lied and I found out he would be grounded much longer. This helped my kids understand the seriousness of a lie in my eyes.
    I also called them out on their lies passive aggressively. Example, my son told me one day he had been in school & I knew he had stayed at a friends and played Halo. The other kids parents busted them. I let him go on and on with his story, and walked over to the parents and had him tell them the story, him knowing they knew and it was a lie. Of course he came clean.

Answer by gemgem at 1:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Don't know if I agree w/ xmama, but hey, it's all good because everyone deals w/ these things differently. :) Anyway, have ya ever read them Peter and the wolf? Good story, and at times it hits home. How do you react when they do something wrong, but fess up to it? Do you lecture, spank, yell, ground, or let it go w/ a warning? I'm in a similar situation, and I've been trying to review how I react to these situations so I can figure out, why they don't get that telling the truth gets them into far less trouble, and makes it easier to believe them when they are telling the truth about something that I would normally doubt. Think about how you react and maybe try a diff. aproach w/ handling when they tell you the truth about something they did that was wrong? Maybe if you react differently, they will too? That's what I'm trying anyway. It's fustrating, and I feel for you!! Hang in there.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 1:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• all kids lie from time they are small till they get older my kids it many times how i found out
    was they would tell the truth later they could not sleep
    always said i just hope sleep with the guilt ,nowing they couldn't they always told the truth
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• well xmama i do reward them when they tell the truth they dont get whooped and u wuld b more scared of being yelled at then a whoopoing and to the rest of u thank u very much and to answer i really only scold them when its the truth bout the only time they get a whooping is when they and i do explain to them the difference in there punishment if they lie or tell the truth and to answer your ? bout y they lie if they understand they will get in more trouble my son told me lastnight cuz he thinks he will be slick enuff to not get caught lying so then there wont b ny trouble and i like the ideal about having them tell there lie to sumone who they know noes the truth
    flipper4u21

Comment by flipper4u21 (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011