My dd's are starting daycare soon...anything to help ease my mind? And anything I should be looking out for?

I am so very nervous, they start next week (Monday)
Should I be looking out for anything, should I do occasional drop-in's? Any tips? Hints? Anything? ='[ I've had them both since birth, i'm so scared they're going to hurt my kids or other kids are going to hurt them, they're both in diapers, so that very much scares me too!!!

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• obviously you've shopped for the daycare that you feel comfortable with correct? so why be so worried about it? idk, maybe it's because i worked in daycare/preschool before i had kids i was more comfortable than other SAHM's sending them to preschool...however i do have a trained eye and know what to look for as well.

first of all, they'll be fine. the first few days, or first week, they may cry for you. go in about 30 minutes earlier than you normally would drop them off. go in, give kisses and hugs, say goodbye, mommy will be back. then, stand outside the door and listen in, or if they have a monitor in the office you can watch them on that. the teacher will be with them, helping them adjust and calm down. usually a few minutes into it, they've noticed toys and calmed down. will they be taking a nap there? if so, make sure they have something to sleep with, like a favorite blankey, bear, binky, ect. to comfort them. cont
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I worked in a daycare while my youngest was a baby, and as a result of it I don't trust anyone with my kids. You just need to make sure you communicate wirth their teachers and make sure that your kids are happy. It may take awhile to adjust, but the easiest thing to do is say your goodbyes and don't look back. I cried in the car the first day I had to leave my daughter without me.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Its never easy leaving your kids with, well strangers. Just watch their moods over time for changes. Some of us don't have much of a choice of sending them to daycare, it sucks. They are going to get sick and nothing PISSES ME OFF more than selfish parents who drop their kids off sick at school/daycare b/c that means my kid will get sick, not to mention the guilt I would have knowing my baby doesn't feel good and I sent her anyway.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would google the name of the day care and look for reviews from other parents. Best of luck! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Did you call other parents that use her? Try to relax. The kids are going to have a ball. My kids love daycare. They interact and learn so much!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Good Luck.. this is a hard situation I still hate.. I wish you the best of luck mommy!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• if they are taking naps there, they will cry for you, as they are just now remembering or figuring out "hey, mommy isn't here". don't worry, the teacher will [depending on age] will rock them or sit/lay next to them to comfort them.

when you do drop them off, the best thing to do after you give kisses and hugs are to just leave the room. this helps the teacher take control. it's so akward when mommy and teacher are there,both are "in charge" of the child, but at the same time, neither wants to over rule the other. when parents are there in the room, the teacher feels obligated to let the parents do what they want, especially on the first day, when they really need to just take the child[ren] and distract them so they don't freak when you leave, while the parents want to comfort and soothe the child, at the same time wanting the teacher to take them. then the teacher takes them, they cry, mommy takes them back starting over
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• this is why i say stand outside so you can watch through the window, listen in, or watch the monitor.

also, if during the interview they said they do papers, crafts, ect with the children, make sure you are getting those. if not, start asking questions. it could be that the teacher is not doing their job. I worked in one daycare that said they did a certain curriculum. i got transferred to a different building for the company [closer to home] and because they already had a lead teacher there, i started out as assistant instead. i was floored when the kids were doing nothing but playing! i waited for the parents to mention somthing, but they didn't. eventually the lead teacher quit, making me the lead teacher. of course, with my luck, finally a parent complained about having no papers and who got the blame? that's right. me. totally sucked. btw, yes, i did say something to the teacher and director. they did nothing.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• When I first put my dd in daycare the woman let me text her to check in. At first I texted her a couple of times a day but now I rarely check in unless something is going on. It has worked out beautifully and my dd is very happy there. She is at an in-home daycare so not sure if that's what you will have or if you will be at a center. Just don't be afraid to be that pesty mom who is always checking in and asking questions and looking over everyone's shoulder. It might annoy the staff but so what? It also might make them think twice about doing anything they shouldn't be doing- like they know if your kid goes home with a diaper rash she didn't come in with that you are going to notice it and bring it up, you know?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would drop in unexpected over the next month or so & just check in on them. Also to prevent them from getting sick often, bathe them as soon as they come home or before bed. GL.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2011