What is it that im doing wrong!?! pumping

i gave birth 16 days ago.. I have been pumping but not at night, and even tho i know its not a good thing... and i need to get on that... im not getting anywhere with pumping... help..lol any advice besides makingsure i wake in the middle of the night to pump????

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 1:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe change the kind of pump you use? i dont really know. I would pump before bed and again in the morning and be fine.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• do it more often for shorter periods of time, and eventually you'll make more milk, thats what i did
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 1:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Are you nursing?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You're 16 day old sleeps through the night? Or is he emptying your breasts through the night? I'm kind of confused of your question. But if you only pumping, the less you pump the less milk you will produce.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• cant nurse cause she is in NICU.. I tried once and she got super frustrated cause i didnt have enough.. and i really really wanna nurse, i have even just used my hand to get what i can to take to the hosp to feed it to her.. and its lile 1 ml.. 6 days after i had her i wa up to 10ml.. dont know what happened
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You need to nurse.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The hormones that produce milk are highest at night so you really do want to get up and pump at least once or twice at night. Other than that you can try looking at your baby or a picture, or try a warm shower right before pumping or lay a warm heating pad across your chest. I assume there is a reason you can't just put your baby to the breast? I know for me I was a champ at breastfeeding but it was hard for me to pump and most times I was lucky to get an ounce or two. If I pumped first thing in the morning or at night I could sometimes get 3-4 ounces. Good luck to you!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I had the same problem. I got no where pumping. I tried Fenugreek to up my supply and still nothing. The more stressed I got the less milk I produced. I ultimately gave up after 3 weeks. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Ohhh, try breast compressions. And if you could use the pump in the NICU do that, it is stronger.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Are you using an electric or hand pump? Electric I hear is much better! My sister has a 4 week old and she hand pumped for 2 1/2 weeks before she found a nice electric. She says it is so much better, and also doesn't hurt.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011