Does it really take a village to raise a child?

I've seen this said often, and I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No I dont think it does. I think it takes responsible parents to raise their child, even if they arent together. I live in a small community and we all do after school sports and things and do fundraisers for that but we tend to mind our own businesses as far as raising our kids goes. I dont like having anyone elses help or opinion on how I am raising my child unless I ask them.

Answer by gemgem at 1:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Back in the day, sure.  I don't think it applies today.  Too many self-centered people.  Everyone is busy and distracted.  I always think of this when someone says that to me, lol.

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The village has far too many idiots, and the most opinionated of them don't even have children.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No, just a really good cable company! LOL LOL LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Yes and no. I love the idea of my community being in the lives of my children, and vice versa. I could use some help!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Some kids YES..
    that was what my mom said/says about my son
    he had all day colic for 6 months, never slept more than 2 hours at a time til 6 months, napped only 20 minutes at a time and you had to be very creative on how to get him to even GET him to nap -still hates to sleep and fights it.
    Never had independent play skills, even after colic cried a LOT of the day until he was 2 years old
    very serious, particular, extremely active, food allergies, lactose intolerant, medication allergies, seasonal allergies, eczema, and he's only 3 now.. he is also extremely strong willed and will test the waters on an hourly basis.. Some kids are just hard..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes, it does. Parents need support whether is comes from other family members, doctors, school systems, there are a ton of people who aid in child rearing...human beings are a communal species, we can't live in isolation.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think it is great to have a support group for when we need advice for what is going on in our lives. Are we not having a village? (cafemom) I am sure there has been at least once you asked a question about your own child.... We may not be a physical village but its the same idea to me. I love asking for advice and looking it up. Our new "village" is online. At least that is what I think.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 1:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think for this argument, you need to define "raise".
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 1:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Taking your child to the doctor is a choice when they need medical care. That person is educated and paid to help us. Just like your own doctor is when you go see them. Is that doctor responsible for telling you how to live your life? No of course not, just like the same doctor is not responsible for telling you HOW to be a parent or HOW to raise your child. It is apples and oranges. You can all down vote me til the cows come home but to me I value being able to choose how I raise my children, with what values and what religious beliefs I choose for MY kids. Yes people will always have an influence, but at the end of the day when your child asks a question it is up to us to answer, not the "village".

Answer by gemgem at 1:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• "But couldn't someone grow and raise their own food, make their clothing, and home school?"

Absolutely. And I agree, providing a service does not constitue raising someone's child. I always joke about becoming Amish, lol. I'm fascinated with how well the community works together.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011