Basal thermometers?

I just went on Amazon to see how cheap they are and I found some as low as $9 but Im not sure what brand to get. Which ones have you used and have they worked for you?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• you don't have to use a basal thermometer you can use a regular digital thermometer. you can get them at target, walmart, walgreens, cvs. pretty much anywhere.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 9:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I BOUGHT A BASAL THERMOMETER AT WALMART FOR ABOUT 7 BUCKS.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 9:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• If it doesnt matter which thermometer you use, digital or basal then whats the difference between the two?
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• the basal goes to a 100th of a degree and the regular go to a tenth of a degree. example: regular would say 98.6 and the basal would say 98.62
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 9:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Ok, so it really doesnt matter which one you get. Thanks so much ladies for all your help. I guess I will just go out and buy a cheap digital thermomter. Thanks again!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• You have to have a Basil Body Thermometer. It has to be digital. If you dont have basil thermometer you will read 97.7 or 98.2 etc etc you will need the 100ths number. that is where you will have your temp jumps. I got mine at walgreens for $7. Go to www.fertilityfriend.com they have lots of articles that explain everything and you can see other peoples charts so you know what the 100ths will look like.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 12:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You only need tenths, not hundredths...the temp jump you look for is in the tenths.

I wonder how many moms are getting steered wrong because of that?

Answer by gdiamante at 2:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I've used a regular digital thermometer since I started charting about 3 years ago and I notice my temp shifts just fine. Pre-ovulation it's around 96.3-96.5, post-ovulation it's around 97.0-97.2. Not gonna be the same temps for everyone, of course, but the 0.5 degree shift that's normal should be noticeable with a regular digital thermometer. Only one way to find out, and a digital thermometer isn't a bad thing to have around the house anyway. ;-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2008