Does he mean it?

Jesus said if you ask anything in his name you’ll receive it. He also said if you have even the smallest amount of faith, like a mustard seed, you can move mountains. Does that fit with your experience?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It's not quite that simple. God is not a sky-genie. Asking in his name doesn't just mean to ask him for anything under the sun, say in Jesus name afterwards, and expect to receive what we asked for. Asking in Jesus name means that we ask according to God's character and will. God will not grant requests contrary to his nature or his will, and we cannot use his name as a magic formula to fulfill our selfish desires. If we are sincerely following God and seeking to do his will, then our requests will be in line with what he wants, and he will grant them.
    When Jesus spoke about "mustard seed faith" I believe he was pointing out that it's not the amount of faith we have, but its genuineness. A tiny seed of faith is enough, if it is alive and growing.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 2:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes- it does fit with my experience because luckily I understand His word and I know what figurative language is- lucky me! ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Jesus does not promise that we will receive whatever we think we might need. As the Holy Spirit guides our hearts, we will desire those things that will benefit us spiritually.

Our faith may seem small and insignificant, especially in times of hardship, but as our faith grows, so does our potential to overcome great obstacles.

Yes, in my experience.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• grasp that straw
    Anonymous

• Yes, He does mean it 100%. On both verses! I have found that out more times than I can count. I've learned not to get in God's way, that HE knows FAR better than I do what's best for me, what is in store for my life,and to trust Him and His timing. Once I was able to let go,and let God take over, things began falling into place, as they were supposed to. It may not be the way I thought it should, but it's the way it's supposed to be. He does indeed HEAR and ANSWER every single prayer. Not always in the way we want, but always in the way it's supposed to.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• yes it does god never gives you anything unless he is ready for you to have it and definatly not until you are ready to handle it
    nicolia

Answer by nicolia at 2:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes it is, but often there things that I want that aren't meant to be at the time. As with anything I find out later that it wasn't really such a good idea. As for faith, I have gone through dry spells with my faith, where it seems like I just don't have any and He isn't really with me. that really isn't true I know deep down that he is there, it's that little bit of faith that gets me through those dry spells.
    daps

Answer by daps at 3:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Well, that depends. People who use God and Jesus as their personal wishing well will tell you that He does not mean it. However, I do not think it was meant as a way to gain whatever your little heart desires. I do believe that faith (in anything) can help you accomplish your goals. I believe that faith can make a difference in healing. However, faith alone isn't going to get you very far. Though it's not stated in the Bible in this way, I truly believe that the Lord helps those who help themselves. I mean, think about it, if you had two people asking you for something; one just stuck his hand out and expected you to give it, while the other was willing to work hard to obtain what he asked for... to which individual would you be more willing grant that wish?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Jesus always means it. I am getting a different interpretation of the mustard seed illustration.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 5:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Literally, no. Like most of the Bible, I read it as metaphor and parables.

I read the mustard seed parable as meaning that everything we need is inside us. The mustard seed contains everything it needs to become a tree, as long as it's taken care of and receives water and light.

"Buddhists and Christians know that nirvana, or the Kingdom of God, is within their hearts. The Gospels speak of the Kingdom of God as a mustard seed planted in the soil of consciousness...Buddhist sutras speak of Buddha nature as the seed of enlightenment that is already in every one's consciousness. The practices of prayer and meditation help us touch the most valuable seeds that are within us, and they put us in contact with the ground of our being."~Thich Nhat Hanh
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011