How much did you pay for war?

http://rethinkafghanistan.com/iou/

CHarlan

Asked by CHarlan at 2:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We are in debt well past our ears now, and much of it is due to these interminable wars that the last administration started. Our deficit isn't just because of programs intended to benefit the citizens of this country, which are the things that are first on the chopping block with the threat of a government shut-down. We have spent trillions on these wars--and what do we have to show for it? A misguided sense of patriotism? Don't misunderstand me here--I respect that our military is doing what it is told, and our soldiers are here to protect our freedoms. It's just that nothing has been accomplished for the sacrifices--both monetarily and with the lives of those soldiers who have died for. . . what?  These wars don't appeal to me because I'm one of your despised "bleeding-heart liberals".  They just aren't practical. They are a drain on our nation.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• What's your point? Under the US constitution,Congress has the power to declare war, raise and support the armed forces, control.war funding...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Charlan you really think you have the inside out low down on what's what in a theatre of operations because your husband knows someone that deploys? I seriously suggest you broaden your horizons before you start judging and throwing horrible names around.

I know what my family's price is for these wars: 2000+ hours of PTSD counceling, 300+ hours of TBI rehab, permenant short term memory loss, 60% total hearing loss, 3 years of total missed time including but not limited to Christmases, birthdays, football games, first words, first steps... need I go on with the list of memories he'll never have? 13 friends buried, 2 family members buried, 8 more friends and family members declared permenantly disabled by the VA... and we're some of the lucky ones!

You keep counting your pennies, safely in your home with your kids tucked warmly in bed. We'll keep track of the REAL cost of America's freedoms.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• That's right lady they CHOSE it! They CHOSE to go into hell (which by the way is WHY there is no draft and that's why your husband's not there) for their country, including all the millions of strangers that live here they'll never meet. Are you going to tell those many people you know who have family with boots on the ground that they're getting what they deserve like you just posted here? You going to tell them in the same attitude you just used that your husband's better then their service member because he's "smarter"? Hate the wars all you want, that's your right, but really to put down the service personnel just because you don't agree with the wars? It's in poor taste, really. What did they ever do to you? Show up fresh from a firefight and bleed on your rug? You're trying to say how you know this and you know that, but you're really coming off as just another of the many closed-minded anti-military hatemongers.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• jsbenkert I've never seen you say anything against the military and while I agree the wars are a drain on our economy they're not the only contributing factor. Do I wish they would stop? Hell there are days I wish we'd never even heard of either one of those countries! Maybe then I wouldn't have to remind my husband what he had for breakfast in the morning. But I do think great things were done. Saddam being brought to justice being one of those. I don't know if we can compare the sacrifices to the progress though, I don't think that would ever really add up, even if it were just one American military life lost, it's just too great a cost.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• $3045.

That's $6 per US soldier who died in Afganistan.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We paid $375,464 based on my husbands income last year. We pay a lot in taxes it goes to many things including war. What is the point of the question?

***
    The point is likely since the OP does NOT support wars--thinking they are all completely unnecessary, this little tool, is to be sent to Congress so they "get the hint" will apparently feel bad, and refund what you paid to finance the Afghanistan war.

Unfortunately what pacifist liberals DON'T understand is....FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Of course, I wonder if their is a "social welfare calculator" that I can use to tally up what I've paid to those programs over the years!! I wold LOVE to get some of that money back!!

But you know then I'm seen as heartless--even though my husband and I donated nearly $40,000 to a variety of charities the past 3 years.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't count the cost in dollars, and there isn't a calculator out there to measure what a mother, a wife, a child, or other family and friends 'pay' when they watch someone they love deploy.

Some of you only count or see the dollar signs ~ and the ones who do are the same ones who damn others because they see dollar signs when it comes to supporting people who AREN'T risking their lives or contributing anything to society or the country. I'm not at all sorry to say that your priorities are all wadded up and confuzzled.

In fact, on bad days, I wonder why those of you who would rather see more money dumped into welfare than to our soldiers should just get yourself a pet leech. Yes, I worry about hungry babies ... and I worry about people shooting at/blowing up MY baby. I can't put a dollar value on that.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• What it means CHarlan is that freedom isn't free ~ and the cost has NOTHING to do with dollars and cents.

BlueCollarMama nailed it. You do NOT know what goes on there . You have bits and pieces and those come from someone who isn't out there where what goes on is happening. He's patching people up after it happens ~ and I for one am darn glad he is.

What you don't understand is that 'you' disagree with the war, and this little gadget you found and posted puts a pathetic dollar amount on something that can't be assigned a value. It trivializes human beings that some of us know, and love, and are fearful for. Your only stake in this is your wallet. Well, paying the military is your 'rent' and/or insurance to continue living in a free country without ever being required to live with you or one of your loved ones paying the real cost.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011