My daugherter is 3 months old and she drinks 4-5oz every 4 hours. An sometimes if she goes past the 5 hours like at night ill make her 6oz but, this seems to just not be enough for her. She gets fussy at like 3 hours. Is it safe to put like a 1/2 scoop of cereal in her bottle??? I'm a first time mom.

babygurl162469

Asked by babygurl162469 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No...babies eat often. Their bellies are TINY and they digest quickly. Putting cereal in the bottle should ONLY be done after a doctor has recommended it and afte ryou've done the research on the effects of it.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't think cereal is good until 4 months. I hear and done some of my own research, their little bodies cannot digest it properly. I also have a 3 mo (on the 10th) and she eats exactly as yours does, I guess the only difference is she sleeps through the night. She is BF, not sure if you BF or formula or both? I think hungry every three hours is right on target, we tried giving our DD more and she'd just spit it up.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It would probably not hurt in any way. I was putting cereal in my babies bottles when they were a few WEEKS old! They are now 26, 24, and 17,and none suffered any ill effects, all grew up healthy, and normal, and we all slept a little better, cause they weren't crying from being hungry all the time. But, that's just me.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No, no cereal in the bottle. It doesn't even help anyway. It just causes digestive problems and they can choke.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Babies must eat every 2-3 hours even at night time. The cereal in the bottle is NOT
    a good idea.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• She is formula fed. She has slept through the night pretty much since she was born, she just dont seem to get full all the time and then there are times she acts like she is starving and ill make her 5 ounces and she will only drink 3 so it confuses me!! what is DD??
    babygurl162469

Comment by babygurl162469 (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No its not good to put cereal in a bottle because it can increase the chances of your child getting athsma and becoming obese. Your baby's body is not ready to digest foods yet only milk or formula. Please be careful... my neice now has athsma because of mother wanting to get a few more hours of sleep...
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 2:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Babies do not HAVE to eat every 2-3 hrs even overnight. Our DD wakes when she's hungry and her height/weight ratio are right on according to her pedi. Unless there is a medical reason the baby cannot cry, they will do so when they are hungry., even overnight.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• DD = darling daughter :) and yeah for you she's sleeping most nights :) If she's not fussy after three oz, I wouldn't force it on her. Her weight gain as been acceptalbe at her appointments, then I'd say you're doing a great job!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes, she is right on track with her weight and height at her last Dr appointment. An i agree with you, i do not wake her up to feed her..if she is hungry during the night she will wake up and cry. I don't want to force feed her.
    babygurl162469

Comment by babygurl162469 (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011