Should a 2-year-old have a root canal and crown done

Should a 2-year-old have a root canal and crown done on a baby tooth that he will lose eventually? i just got back from the dentist today and they say he needs them and will be going under anesthesia and the dentists says he has more risks with the anesthesia cuz he is only 2 buyt if we dont do it the out come may be bad in the long run im so sared P.S has any one had this done for there 2 yr old and how did it turn out

mommy223326

Asked by mommy223326 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Health

• um I have no idea but why would a 2 year old have a tooth that bad ?
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I'd get a second opinion for sure. I don't see why it would be necessary to go through some extensive work for a baby tooth. There has to be some sort of other option. I'm not saying this is the case with all dentists, but I've found some are just after your money. I once had a dentist tell me I needed a root canal and wanted me to pay $1200 that day. I went to a different dentist for a second opinion and he ended up giving me a filling which only cost me about $50 after insurance, and it's worked just fine.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My oldest has soft enamel and had to have 3 crowns at 3yo. Not attending to the baby teeth can cause similar problems with the adult teeth. And get a second opinion, even if just from your family doctor.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 2:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i'm not a dentist but i would say no, plus its only a baby tooth i'd ask someone else
    shanda0914

Answer by shanda0914 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Oh! She lost crowns a few times and had to have them replaced. Her adult teeth have needed a few sealants in soft spots to prevent decay from happening.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 3:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I dont think so why would you want to put a two year old through so much pain? I have had the experience of a root canal and its not pretty
    4bamms3

Answer by 4bamms3 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 9:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Why would they do a root canal? I am confused on that part. I would get a second opinion.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Not necessary. I sat on a grand jury for a year for dental insurance fraud.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2011