Would you have done the same?

I was at wal-mart alone last night and as I was checking out this woman and her probably 13 year old daughter were behind me. All of a sudden this woman starts complaining about how the child is not putting things on quickly enough. Then she goes on calling her an idiot and a little bitch. Me and the cashier exchanged looks like is this really happening? I had a lot of stuff so this abuse as I took it went on for a minute. After she called her worthless I turned around and said to her, "how dare you talk to her like that. I ought to call the police, this is child abuse." she told me to mind my fucken business and she said to her daughter see what you being a stupid bitch gets us? Now look what you've fucken done. I told the mother that I have witnesses who have seen and heard her mentally abuse the child in public and she left her stuff on the cash register and left. I called the cops and they got her outside before she could drive away. I guess they took the child and placed her with realtives and the woman was thrown in jail for alleged child abuse and public intoxication and dui. It makes me wonder what would have happened if I didn't say anything. There were about 20 something people in that store and no one said anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• Good for you. I don't know if I would of dared to say anything to her but I would of been calling! I am so glad you did.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I'm really surprised that the police were there within the few minutes it would have taken her to get to her car...
    chelley123

Answer by chelley123 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• we live in a really small town and I started calling them when i saw her start to leave.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I appaluade you for doing that because she could have killed herself and her daughter or someone else. Thank you it takes people like you to make a difference in the world. Wow I think its amazing you did something. I would have done the same ! GO GIRL
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 3:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You did the right thing. I wish more people would stand up for children the way you did.
    thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 3:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Bravo to you! You might've save the girls life! I work with CPS and can't tell you how many children MIGHT have been helped sooner if only someone had stepped up and intervene for them! My hats' off to you! And your right, that was definitly verbal and emotional abuse!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Thank God that wasnt me in your place. I might have started calling her names and even punched her in the teeth for treating the kid like that. Just another example of people who should NOT be allowed to breed.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes I would do the same thing what you just said I can't stand people like that treating their kids that way jez there's tons of people out there no balls to step up and say it ..I'm so proud of you girl ,I would do the same if I was there .I'm sure her daughter is better off with out her mom , she doesn't deserve to be treated that way ,I can't believed a mother would say that to her own daughter that just so sad
    Donnabell_nyc

Answer by Donnabell_nyc at 3:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• if she was drunk and was going to drive with daughter, she must have admitted driving there with daughter to get dui, or been behide the wheel, and with an underage child-this is a big deal, she will have get daughter back easily
    thank God you did something
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• That makes me sad! How often does abuse like that or worse go unnoticed.. and how often does it get ignored all together. I was in an abusive relationship for 3 years and no one ever said or did anything, several ppl knew what was going on and did nothing. That poor girl! ppl need to pay attention and stop being silent when somthing needs to be done. No one deserves that!
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 3:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2011