I hate oatmeal :p

my cholesterol has not been good for about 5 years. Not over the top bad, but a little too much bad and not enough good.

So I'm trying the oatmeal every day thing and I hate it. Yuck! but, given that a friend of mine just died from her heart stopping and since just about everyone in my family dies of heart attacks (I think mostly from bad lifestyle choices ) I'd rather have the yucky oatmeal than have to deal with the health issues.

and when I get done with the yucky oatmeal, I'll be getting on my bike and heading to the gym like a good little oatmeal eater.

anyone else having to do or eat things they don't like due to changing bodies/age?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Health

• I make the stove top type (aka not instant) with milk - not water. I add in a spoonful of Splenda brown sugar and a shake off the cinnamon shaker (cinnamon being one of those 'magic' spices that is recommended for a few different healthy things.) Sometimes I smush in a banana. I was not an oatmeal person before, but I've been reformed.

Don't get stuck on thinking it's just oatmeal. It's really about increasing your fiber intake. Eat fruits, veggies, whole grains and other foods that are high in soluble fiber which will help lower your LDL. If you don't like wheat pasta (which I think tastes like paste...) try Dreamfields Pasta. It's recommended for Diabetics because of it's high soluble carbs and oodles of fiber. It tastes and looks like white pasta. Love it!

There are other things you can eat to help too. I think this site had a lot of info:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 5:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Have you tried adding chunky or regular apple sauce to it? It REALLY improves the flavor. Adding maple syrup is good to. Even jam or jelly can help the taste.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Try adding fruit or brown sugar and a little milk. There are lots of ways to make it taste better. But good for you on trying to get your heart healthy. I thought cheerios was good too, maybe you could switch back and forth between the two. And I don't think you have to eat it every day.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• vbruno I love the idea of applesauce, I am going to try that tomorrow!!
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

•  McDonalds oatmeal It's good. Hve you tried to make it like theirs?

My FIL got esophagus cancer, they had to remove it and pull up his stomach in place of it. He's had to totally change how he eats. And everytime he does eat he gets sick. How awful.. I hope allo goes well for you

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I forgot about cheerios, maybe i'll try those too!
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• A good for you healthy and tasty, way cook diced apples and cinnamon in with your oats.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I have to have something in my oatmeal.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I like the oatmeal at starbucks. I like my oatmeal to be thick not runny & I add stuff to it like brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped nuts, dried fruit, honey, etc.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 11:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2011