Do grandparents accept the second like they did the first?

My daughter is 5 and is and always has been the center of my parents world. She has spent a lot of time with them and she is favored over all other grandkids. I am pregnant with my second and wonder how this baby is going to come into play to this. My sister has a 1 year old and they don't spend nearly the time with her as they do my daughter. And I think my daughter will be jealous of the new baby and the grandparents holding it. So how will they get a bond with this one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am sure I will. I am the new grandmother of twins that I have not met yet. I am flying out on Friday, but I already love them. Just like I love my 3 year old grandson. I think that your first will always be special, but then I know that the twins will be just as special in there own way!
    sprock

Answer by sprock at 3:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It depends on the grandparents. I have two grandkids and actually bonded more with the second than I did with the first, mostly because my dd was so over protective of her first baby she didnt let anyone hold him lol.
    I have however heard and known grandparents who say the first grandchild is always favored because they are the first so the bond is different. For me I dont see how that is true. So again, it depends on your parents.

Answer by gemgem at 3:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My parents loved both my kid's equally. I did happen to have the first grand child and with my 2nd the first Grand Son, I lived close to my folks and my sister was across the country, my folks kinda did favor my kid's over my sister's because of proximity, but when she came to town with them all the kid's got equal shares of gifts and attention.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Not in our case but it was my sister who had the first grandchild and she was /is a very affectionate, easy going, eager to please type of child and they loved having her and being around her.. they have practically raised her - my son came along and he's been well.. the opposite and he's 3-1/2 and not once have they wanted to take him over night or offered to watch him - he's very strong willed and not a cuddler and FULL of energy and quirks they don't understand or even want to - sad really.... they love him but I think its different.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2011