Milk sippy cups

How much milk and or juice do your lo's have during the day? Not going to lie - my lo has a milk sippy almost all day long ... I know it's bad for the teeth, but he won't drink water.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine 16mo doesnt really like juice, it usually gets wasted. So he usually has a milk sippy cups through most of the day... I'd say he gets 4-5 a day. My doctor loves that he drinks that much milk because its great calcium for his growing bones.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 3:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think it's only bad for their teeth if they go to bed with it. My kids have the option of water or milk. Occassionally they get juice. They don't have nor have ever had, any cavities.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Mine loves water.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 3:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If he is thirsty enough he will drink water, even try flavored water, many have no sugar!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If you give them water in the sippy cup they probably won't like it and try to throw it. If you keep offering it and eventually they'll give in and drink it if they're thirsty. Seems kind of harsh but do you really want to be struggling with this battle with a toddler? Good habits start when they are born.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 3:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We only do water in the sippy cups. They get one glass of milk at meal time and then drink water the rest of the time. Occasionally I buy some juice as a treat and at most, they get one glass a day.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Milk isn't bad for him, if he had juice all day I would say that was very bad. Just water down the milk sometimes and the juice alot! Start giving him less and less if you think its too much. Distract him with playing or doing something else so get him to put it down. or only put a small amout in it. Does he get mad if he doesn't have it all day long?
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Mine wouldnt drink water either, but I took away the milk and juice for a while and started only giving water because they made such a mess on my carpet with the juice, and the milk spoils after a few hours, and now they drink water just fine. I only give juice and milk at the table for that reason. I let them have water in a sippy to carry around all day.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 3:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• mine gets milk in his sippy cup at mealtime; and we have switched to the cups with the straws and he seems to like those better try introducing juice by starting out with 50/50 and then reducing the water every week
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• milk is way better than juice for teeth.

but anyways... my dd gets "hot chocolate" with breakfast (its a powdered chocolate milk breakfast mix with extra vit. and mins. that i warm up because everyone else drinks coffee so she wants a warm drink too lol))
    then she gets a juice, mostly orange juice. at lunch she gets milk. then at dinner milk. after dinner and between lunch and dinner its water.. but my dd is 3 now.
    but between 1-2 it was only milk, no juice and water before bed after we brushed teeth.
    she didn't like water either in a sippy, so i always brought a cup for "myself" and she had to have what i had so shed drink it that way no problem.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011