Domperidone for breastfeeding

A friend of mine just got perscribed these pills, and was instructed to take 1tab 4x per day...I thought that was just for the other use of gastrointestinat issues...If any of you ladies take this lactation drug, what's the dosage you take, how many tabs& how many times per day? Thank you.

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 3:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you know i can read this right!
    mommy2bee12-27

Answer by mommy2bee12-27 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I have not, but I would look into the herbal options out there, if you have not already. Fenugreek is the herbal milk-aid found in "mother's milk" teas and other supplements.
    Are you having supply issues?
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 3:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No I am not, but I do use Fenugreek. My friend who also recently had a baby is. She has tried all the herbs and still had trouble, so her OBGYN perscribed her Domeridone. :)
    amberpatterson

Comment by amberpatterson (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Ask in the Breastfeeding Moms group to be sure. What type of problem is she having with supply, I would like to help if I can, and if you and her would like me to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Was she prescribed Dom? That's uncommon, esp in the states. More commonly, Reglan is prescribed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• yes, she was perscribed the DOM. And yes, I thought they didn't have it here in Cali, but apperntly they do. Only one pharmacy in our area though. They didn't perscribe her Reglan because she has a history of depression in her family, and since Reglan crosses the blood brain barrier, her OBGYN decided against that. I personally don't think she has a producing problem. She says she does because her baby is 4 weeks old and never seems satisfied...So she "has" to supplement with formula.
    amberpatterson

Comment by amberpatterson (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It kills me how many people think they HAVE to supplement with formula, when some babies simply want to eat ALL the time. I had a freak out myself because my newborn wanted to eat every 20 minutes, and my midwife (love her as I do) was sticking to the old "every 2-3 hours" adage...which is total crap! He wanted to nurse EVERY 20 MINUTES. That was all...and once I started listening to him and not charts and out-dated information, I was fine.
    Some people DO have supply issues, but it's often stress or what they are eating/not eating.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 8:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I took domperidone for supply issues, and was prescribed 90 mg/day, One 30 mg pill 3 x a day. It worked wonders for my supply, and had absolutely NO side effects.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• DOm works great IF there is a supply issue, likely she created one with the formula..
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2011