Do you ever ignore you child/children when you just cant deal with them anymore?

I've been dealing w depression since my brother died in december. Recently my car broke down and i wont be able to fix it which caused me to lose my job. My 1 1/2 DS is always misbehaves constantly for a day after he gets back from his dads and i just cant take it anymore so i put him in his playpen in his room w his juice and cartoons on and i went to my room to listen to music and try to de-stress. i was jus wondering do any of you ever do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I feel like I should probably answer this anon cause I will probably get voted down ALOT but yeah I do this kind of alot....4 yr DD NEVER STOPS TALKING and after awhile the sound of her voice makes me want to tear my hair out....I've started just putting my headphones in and turning up the music loud enough that I can't hear her....she'll start tapping my leg and I will just ignore her....I've thought about going into my room and closing the door but I'm scared she might hurt herself or my dog while I'm in there. Good luck mama...your not alone
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes...days like today, where my boys are CONSTANTLY arguing over things, I just want them to disappear. They have sat in time-outs multiple times today...obviously the point isn't getting across, lol. No one is perfect and it's better that you do that, than get even more stressed and hurt him unintentionally.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i think doing that is better than what some other parents decide to do....
    but for parents who have nobody to help them when they need a break i think doing that is okay. i mean..not for like a whole day of course but just for a little bit to get your emotions under control.
    bouncingsoul

Answer by bouncingsoul at 3:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No not like that. When I really need(ed) a break I called and asked someone to come watch them for me, or I had the older kids watch the little ones for me. Like right now my 17 yr old is home and if my 6 yr old were to start getting to me to that point Id ask him to watch her for 30 minutes while I took a hot shower or whatever. Its how he earns car time or gas money.

Answer by gemgem at 3:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No, I don't. Not like that, anyways. I'll usually only ignore him if he's whining or throwing a tantrum over not getting his way.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Only if she's throwing a tantrum or whining. If I'm super-stressed/depressed, I just grin and bare it until nap time or bed time. Or, while she's eating, I'll turn on the TV and go onto my computer to do homework and de-stress.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes I do. It's better than yelling at them or getting so mad, you hurt them. My kids are too bog to put in a playpen though. I used to go to my room and close the door. They knew it was because I was upset or mad so they would leave me alone, then knock on the door to apologize.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• *big
    nmmama09