I can not get my 2 and half month old son to sleep at night?

When my daughter came home from the hospital after being in the NICU for a week she was a perfect baby and at 3 weeks was sleeping through the night.

My son now 3 months old is still not even close. He sleeps all day and is up all night. When we try to make a schedule it seems like its even worst. I just want a good nights sleep.

Any suggestions

smusgrave0702

Asked by smusgrave0702 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Each child is different. He'll sleep through the night when he is ready to.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Each kid is different. Its NOT easy to get on a schedule and things definitely get much worse before they get better when trying to start a schedule. It can take 2 months to get everything working in sync. Keep trying and wake that baby up during the day or at least from 3 p.m. on to change the sleeping schedule.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Try putting him on a 3-hour schedule during the day. Feed him, keep him up for an hour and a half or two hours, let him sleep an hour, then do it again. If you will consistently do that, he will soon be sleeping through the night.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Haha, consider yourself LUCKY with your daughter! Babies do not typically sleep through the night that early. It stinks but it's part of parenting. They need food, and diaper changes, and love. Ask your hubby (or bf) to wake up a couple nights so you don't have to. Sleep when baby sleeps during the day. Give it time and don't push.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Make sure you are not equating "perfect baby" with "quiet and convenient". This is the BIGGEST mistake I think we can make as parents, and sadly, our culture feeds these misconceptions that children are supposed to be born sleeping like adults and behaving themselves all the time. Sleep is as unique as the child...and can take years for them to "sleep through the night". Some children do with little coaching, others need to be "trained" against what is perhaps good for them to do so, and in those cases, there can be the high cost of trust in you and security.
    Follow his cues...they are so little for such a short time! Soon, it will be over and you'll have scheduled and timed and trained your child instead of enjoying her and learning the wonderful zen lesson they can teach us.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 3:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• This is normal! Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• He's still an infant. This is normal. I think the one who was out of the ordinary was your daughter! Try keeping him awake more during the day (its hard, I know). At bedtime, make sure it's dark and quiet. Also, try to keep it dark and quiet during the time you would like him to nap during the day. I don't know if this is something you'd consider, but cosleeping is what got ME sleep.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• umm you jst got REALLY lucky the first time around. At that age it is very normal for babies not to sleep through the night yet. mY DD is almost 10 months..STILL doesnt sleep through the night!! Try getting your son on a routine and it will help him sleep most of the night..but usually not all the way through
    LiviLove613

Answer by LiviLove613 at 7:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2011