Have you noticed when people use the word 'but'...

But, the word that often gets placed smack in the middle of a comment. You've heard it, I know you have...IE: I don't mean to be rude but....I don't mean to complain, but...I'm not being nosy, but... Is it me or is it being used a lot these days as to somehow soften the blow or excuse someone for anything that's being uttered out there pie hole? My DS uses it constantly to try to mask her bitter criticism and its driving me nuts!!!

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Just for Fun

• it happens.. its just a habit for a lot of people lol
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Kind of like when people say "No offense but" then they say something really offensive?
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• HA HA HA...well I don't mean to be rude but......

just kidding...yeah...I'm guilty of it too....It's my way of saying...I'm about to say something your going to think is rude BUT I don't know a better way to say it and you DID ask for my opinion...that's just me though lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Exactly, nmmama09.
    Philly247

Comment by Philly247 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• How would you like for the word to be used?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree, but (LMAO) how else do you say I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I'm going to do it anyway?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Not so much the word..just the way it's being used especially when you didn't ask for someone's opinion. It's like an excuse for what's to come. I'm merely making an observation and am deeply sorry if it offends.
    Philly247

Comment by Philly247 (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Maybe it's because some people are so worried about being 'pc' these days. Ridiculous, IMO
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yeah I had a student do that to me the other day when I failed her room and she said "I'm not trying to discredit you, but..."
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• yeah, i haven't really noticed until i read it. ill brace myself and the next but
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011