How many words should a 19 month old say?

DS will be 19 months on Thursday. He understands a lot of words, but he doesnt try to say them or really talk much. I've always been worried because I feel like he should say more...

right now all he says are

mama
daddy
bath
up
bye bye
hi
"I"
and he's trying to say "good job" it comes out like goog gob.

We read books all the time, play and talk and he just doesnt try to repeat... The dr says its about normal, but I just worry.

ArmyWifeAshlie

Asked by ArmyWifeAshlie at 3:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Listen to your doctor
    Anonymous

• That's more than the 3 of my kids said at that age. Mine didn't start using more words until they were 21-22 months. Of course they could say cup, mama, dada. But not much more! They're fine!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Thanks! I was an early talker and it seems like most of my friends kids are too.

It was just me and him all day everyday for the first year of his life. He heard me and the tv. not real conversations, Daddy was in Iraq.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Comment by ArmyWifeAshlie (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• He's doing fine. My son only says about the same amount of words, but I know that he understands many more. He's 18 months and is very smart. I think he's just content right now with where he's at. He's always been like that. He'll take his time, then all of a sudden make a huge leap. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think its more what Mom and Dad know he's trying to say. my son went from nothing to everything seemingly fast but this is an area that varies so much!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

________________________________________________________________
    thanks! Wyatt's just always taken his sweet time. Its frustrating cause he'll say a word and then he refuses to say it. haha

Y'all all made me feel so much better!
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Comment by ArmyWifeAshlie (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Well I know my 19 month old is advantaged but she speaks at least 100 words if not more and speaks in three to for words sentences. She has an older sister that speaks well for her age too so I guess she learned it from her.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011