19 month old son doesn't like stuff on his hands

my son won't eat anything that is mushy that he has to touch with his hands. I have tried so many things macaroni, fruits, breads, cheese etc. He basically only eats goldfish, cheerios, chex's, and baby food which i have to feed him. I don't like the fact that he is still eating baby food even though my pediatrician said its fine. Did anyone else have this issue? and tips to help would be great:)

1mama2B

Asked by 1mama2B at 4:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• MY son was/is like that - he has some sensory issues for sure!! He is 3-1/2 and its lessened over the years but still he prefers not to eat messy foods - even picking out a donut he opts not to get a sprinkle donut because its too messy lol! or eat spaghetti because it will get him too messy -he HAS to have a wash cloth and be clean after he's done eating etc,., I could go on but I wont lol!~ Just keep trying to slowly expose him to things and it does get better.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You are not alone =)  My daughter will be 2 may 1 and she will not eat certain things because of the "mess" on her hands.  If she touches something without her spoon and she doesn't like it she immediately says" Mommy tissue, mess mess" It is kinda cute when she does it however it can get frustrating because I try so many things that she will not eat.  All I can suggest is keep introducing the foods to him and provide him with a tissue..Oh yea the only thing my daughter will eat really is mac and cheese but she has to constantly wipe her hands...Hope something works!

NewMayMommy_25

Answer by NewMayMommy_25 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My son was like this and he still kinda is he dont really care that much about food anymore but he hates to get mud or dirt on his hands I guess it just feels funny to them.. Just try giving him a little more time and while you wait it out try baby spoons and forks.. It seemed to work here
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• there is a certain condition that people have that different feelings and things really bother them i was just talkin to a friend of mine and they just found out there son has it and hes six they have fought hard to help him not understanding or knowing what was goin on til now but now that they know it is helpful especially since they know hes not being defiant he cant help it and u just learn different tricks to get around it or if hes eating and being then let him eat what he wants like with my friend one of the things he doesnt like is the feeling of jeans so he always has to wear sweats or something
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• yes thats it its a sensory condition
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011