Is this common for an almost 4 year old(he will be 4 on April 12th)

My son has been potty trained for like 2-3 months now during the day-- we are still working on the nighttime - he still has accidents about 1-2 times at night and 2 times a week with day poop or pee - is this common for newly potty trained children?

Its usually when he's left to play by himself - we still have to constantly ask him if he has to go or I think he'd have even more accidents

If it makes any difference he was born with a condition called hypospadia and had to have 3 surgeries before it was completely taken care of so the potty training was put off till we got the OK from the doctor

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine is 5 and has an accident every now and then as well. No worries mom :D
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 4:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yea that's pretty common. If he is still doing this in a couple month you may want to look into it but if he is newly potty trained he is probably ok.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 4:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• that happened with our son for the first 4-5 months I think - he was potty trained at 2 years and 8 months
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It is, my DD will be 5 in June and she still has accidents every now and then.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 4:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't exactly call it common. Some kids (and almost every time I've seen this type of thing, its been mostly boys) just get too into playing and don't think about the need to use the restroom.

Keep up what you're doing, and eventually he'll start doing it himself. Its a long/hard process, but oh so rewarding in the end!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Dont worry, he'll get the hang of it!. The night time is the hardest. Even if you cut back on fluids before bed. Of course for my 2 boys, they waited until they had their night time diaper on & saved their poop for then! I thought they'd be going to Kindergarten in diapers! -lol-But I'm happy to say, that while they were both difficult to potty train, they did catch on. Set a timer to help him remember to try to go & lots of praise for each success! GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My son was not fully potty trained (pee and poop) until he was 4-1/2, but when was even the night time accidents were gone-it was like magic! He had accidents too every now and then too, especially when we're on a road trip. He did not want to be called a baby anymore so he decided to let go of his diapers.
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 4:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My dd turned 4 in Feb and hasnt had in accidents, shes been potty trained since she was 2. Hopefully, it gets better for you.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2011