Corsages for prom? HELP!

Ok I finally got the go after school and know 100% my sons going to prom with the gf. Problem is her parents waited til the last minute, and prom is not this weekend but next. She still has not bought a dress, so I have no idea what color corsage to order. I wont wait until the last moment though. Do you think a Gardenia corsage is alright? They are white and smell great and I figure I can have the florist add a colored ribbon to match her dress.

And are the pin on ones or wrist ones in? Its been so long since I went to prom. I dont know what is the norm now days.

Asked by gemgem at 4:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh how exciting! You are on top of things mom! Good for you. I hope your son appreciates your attention to detail. :) I think what you have in mind is great! Wrist corsages are still popular. The only problem we had w/ the wrist corsage when my dau wore one to the daddy/daughter dance about a month ago, was when they got to the part in the Elec. Slide song that says, "Everybody clap your hands" my dau's corsage fell apart! :p It could've been inferior work by the florist- so just mention when ordering that you want it to make it thru the night! -lol
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would go with wrist to avoid the awkward event of your son trying to pin it on, plus depending on the cut of her dress there might not be room for a corsage or it might pull the dress in the wrong direction.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The wrist ones were what most people used 10 yrs ago when I was in school. Why not add silver accents? Sounds pretty.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• yes i think this is a good way to go adding the ribbon to match would be perfect but cant help you on the pin or wrist thing cuz it's been a really long time since i have been to prom
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 4:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I work at a grocery store and I can tell you, based on years of experience, get a wrist corsage. It alleviates the awkwardness of trying to pin on a flower, and most times, the girls take them off for dancing anyway. If you don't know the color of the dress, you could always do a white on white corsage (white flower/white ribbon). Silver or gold ribbon also works with almost any dress as well. If you want a hint of color for a white flower, you could ask for some limonium instead of the traditional baby's breath. Good Luck!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yeah I might. I am taking him tomorrow for his Tuxedo fitting, so based also on what he gets color wise Ill get the corsage to go with it. I figured a wrist one was best, but my dd (21) was not sure either. She thought wrist so my son wont attempt to pin anything on his gf.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• lol thanks mrsmom I will keep in mind making sure the flowers are tough enough. I can make sure the florist knows about mishaps maybe they can add extra tape or whatever they use to keep it on there as good as possible.
    I am also making their reservations for dinner, limo rental and all of that. Things of course my 17 yr old has not even stopped to think about.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I'd go with the wrist corsage (I actually just had to this last week). I think you're idea is great.
    I know with the one I got this year, I had the choice of the elastic wrist corsage or an actual bracelet. I went with the bracelet and some rhinestones in the flowers....I'll tell you what they do these days is nothing like the corsages I had.
    It was stunning. I think the flower and then the colored ribbon is a great idea.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011