What would you do? (long and detailed) adult content

This is extremely embarrassing for me. I have a relative that helps us out (he is my uncle and is 62 years old) alot, money, babysitting kids to give me a break, giving me rides as we are a one car family etc. The problem is he has HORRIBLE personal hygiene. He may take a shower once or twice a month. He has 5 inside small dogs and allows them to potty where ever they please including on people!!! I have tried talking to him about all of it and he just does not care. To give a little background he lost his wife to cancer in 2009 but even before that his personal hygiene was about the same. He does not use deodorant or anything of that sort. The smell of dog urine was so bad the other day in his truck it made me sick to my stomach and I actually threw up. I have just recently moved into a house and replaced my living room furniture, he visits us often now and I am afraid the odor will get into my furniture, any tips to help prevent this?

I do my best to clean at his house too, he often asks why bother and I explain that  my kids visit and I want things clean for hism as well. I do his laundry but again he will wear the same clothes for a week at the time. I have tried talking to him and his view is why bathe if  you are just going to get dirty again. He refuses to wash his dishes or vacuum a floor. He will pick up the dog poo. He is of good mind just not a very clean person.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Health

• I dont know what to tell you. My fil is the same way and its nasty. He was living with us awhile and we got on him and explained that I did not want anyone sitting on my furniture you did not bathe, but he lived with us so it is a different issue. I would maybe pull him aside and ask him if he needs any help at home? If he lost his wife he may honestly not realize how bad things have gotten. Look into getting someone to go into the home and clean for him. His clothes atleast will be clean that way.

Answer by gemgem at 4:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't know what to tell you....I just hope he baby sits the kids in your house and not his. You should talk to him though, at least give it a shot.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i agree with qemqem he may not notice that it has gotten that bad or he is just so depressed that he doesn't care and has let himself go. Maybe taking him out for coffee one day and gently approaching the subject might help and if the problem still persists then maybe its time to not let him over til he fixes it. I hope that helps
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 4:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i would simply bring it up with him...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011