Do u have ny ideals on how to get kids to do homework

my kids tell me they dont have homework and they fill out the planner on what was to b done to and he does but then the teachers r to sign it and let me no if theres homwork or not and its in his 504 thru school and they dont do it

flipper4u21

Asked by flipper4u21 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• We had the same thing set up. You have to email the teachers and tell them you noticed they are not fulfilling their end of the 504 plan. Email has always also worked for me, I was able to get daily or atleast regular contact with the teachers and know what was going on.

Answer by gemgem at 4:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• ? NEW YORK? and teachers not signing planner??? I think I have deciphered it....

1) how old is your child... that would make a difference in my anser

2) what is the child's issue that requires a 504 (guessing this is a special needs education plan)... that too would make a difference in my answer

Anonymous

• ??? Mine come home, sit at the table and I check all of thier things and I make them finish homework b4 they do anything, it is parenting!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I believe teachers should be held accountable also. I was a teacher. I agree an e-mail might be a good first step, but a face to face conference is so much better. Mom, teacher and child. all together: to make sure everyone knows their responsibility and an arrangement can be made. I don't know much about 504s but I know IEPS very well. If they are not followed someone gets in trouble...
    Try one more time, preferably in person with your child and the teacher...If you get no satisfaction or results....THEN go higher.....
    Good luck to you!!!!!!!
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 5:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• well i have had several meetings with them and the principle and the 504 is the same as a iep only difference he has mental conditions not special ed needs and i do go thru his stuff and he is to do homework bfor nything else but when it doesnt cum home not much a parent can do at that point or when they say there is no homework or oh dang i must have lost it and the teachers rnt letting me no what he does have to do and yes they can get in truoble for not following it just like the iep was just hopin to not go that far and they keep telling me its his responsibilty not theres well first of all thats y he has a 504 cuz he needs help like that and if an adult cant show sum responsibilty then how do u expect a child to and he is 12
    flipper4u21

Comment by flipper4u21 (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Now that I read this, it seems to me the teacher is right. It is your child's responsibility and HE is not living up to HIS. You tell me that when you say he says.."Öh, dang I must have lost it." i beg to differ with you. Our kids in the public school had responsibilities in the FIRST grade on up. I taught grades 3 to 6 by the way. I did my part by teaching what I needed to and asking if anyone had any questions.
    I also had to be accountable to report homework being done or not. My kids had to have an excuse from parents before they were left off the hook for the moment, but they STILL HAD TO DO THE HOMEWORK!!!!!
    Mama, you get what you demand, and teachers will too if they demand.
    The notepad system worked well for me.I initialed it, homework was sent, parent initialed it. If I didn't get that, I moved on to a face to face conference where all three of us were present. Don't him snow you..Take action with HIM,
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 6:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I want to add one more thing. I have a Down Syndrome child of 17 whom I homeschool. . She was in the public school until age 16. I have always been understanding of her...but she is VERY clever to the point of being manipulative.. She dared to do things I never thought of when I was a child. These kids can be very cunning.
    I have made her accountable in routines I feel she should be able to handle. I gently demand and stand my ground. I get what I want, sooner or later... We are one very happy family....:)
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 6:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011