What would you do? Or what should I do?

Hello, I am a single mom of one. I will be a single mom of two in late August.

Last week I started a new job after not having a job for a little while. It's actually working at the daycare my daughter was going to. So by working there I am getting free daycare which is very helpful.

Here is my problem. Me and my daughter both have strep throat now. It was going around in the daycare, and since she hasn't been there in a while and I haven't been working we caught it right away. So I missed work yesterday and was told by my doctor to stay out of work today too because I have to been on the meds for 24 hours. That's even what the papers at daycare say!! So I called and let her know that and she was trying to have me come in anyway. She asked if there was someone else that could watch my little girl so I could come into work. Obviously if I had someone to watch her she wouldn't need daycare. But there's no one because both grandparents work.

I am afraid of losing my job because my child got sick. What happens if she gets sick another time, it means me missing work again. My child always has and always will come first. If I lose my job it's going to suck, but she's most important and I have to do what's best for her. What should I do?? I don't understand why daycares aren't understanding of staff missing work due to illness or child illness!! I'm so frustrated.

MommyNMay

Asked by MommyNMay at 4:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• Theres not much you can do. It is part of being a single parent. You can try and find a friend or family member who might be willing to be on call as an emergency sitter for things like this. Maybe if they understand it is not going to be anywhere near an every day thing theyd be willing to help?

Answer by gemgem at 4:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree with having a back up babysitter. has your dd been on the meds for 24 hours? can you take her with you?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yeah. I'd just have to find someone. A lot of my friends work, or are out of town.
    MommyNMay

Comment by MommyNMay (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No, it won't be until tomorrow that it makes 24 hours being on meds, and then she'll be able to go back too. The pharmacy was busy yesterday I guess, I was there almost an hour waiting for them to get our prescriptions ready. So they didn't get started till late evening.
    MommyNMay

Comment by MommyNMay (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I lost my job due to my kids and I having the flu one right after the other and all the time I had to miss. You'd think they'd be more understanding, but really, they shouldn't be asking you to come in when you are sick in the first place. I hope they let you stay!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Thanks bdflykisses. I hope so too!! I lost my lost job from getting sick with the flu and then my daughter getting. This was after my previous boss had let two other employees stay at work with fevers and vomiting instead of sending them home!!
    MommyNMay

Comment by MommyNMay (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• see if the daycare has a list of recommended daycare providers that care for sick kids. I used to do daycare and kept sick kids as long as I had a separate room for them away from the main daycare and an assistant to help.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 5:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• She shouldnt have even asked you to come to work while you were sick! you dont need to be getting everyone eles sick all over again... im pretty sure that if you have a doctors not to give to your boss. for you or your child they cant fire you.
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 9:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• That's a really bad day care if the boss asked you to come in while you have strep throat! It says something about the priorities there, it would be a good time to consider your alternatives. You could end up feeling trapped in the job, but don't do that because there are always other options. It might take creativity and support from others to find it, but this is not the only work that will accomodate your needs.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 10:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011