Naps...for you or the kids?

My 4 yr old DD is at that age where I guess she doesnt really NEED to take a nap anymore... I can hear her in her room talking to herself for the whole time lol....why do I still put her down for a nap if she doesnt need it? you ask me. Because I need it lol....I need that small, tiny, too short time away from her during the day so I can rebuild my sanity lol and I'm going to continue putting her down for her "nap" for as long as I can possibly get away with it lol

Sooo mama's....are the kids naps for them or are they really for you? =)

And how old are the kiddies? Just so I'll know how long I can keep up the nap charade lol

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nap time is still mainly for my girls (3 and 1) because if they don't get a nap they are super cranky. But I have to admit that I do enjoy the break, lol. There is nothing wrong with quiet time if you might say for your 4 year old. No biggie. You need your time, too.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• my 4 year old still naps daily. there are days she kinda just has "quiet time" instead of actually sleeping. if i know she isn't sleeping i let her have quiet time for an hour, but if she naps she will sleep 1.5-2 hours. i dont nap unless im really tired but i do use the time to either clean, shower, or just watch tv or do something for myself. ill continue to do it until she starts kindergarten.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• if you need a nap, then why don't you just tell her to play quietly by herself for a bit?
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My oldest DD stopped needing naps around 3. Younger DD around 4. And, my twin boys, around 5. Every child is different. But, I never put them down if they didn't need it. My time always came in the evening after they went to bed. I would have felt terrible sending them to their room just to "buy" myself some time. Now that they are grown, I am thankful for every minute I spent with them. Those years go way too fast.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• HA HA HA @febmom007 she doesnt know the meaning of the word quite. I've tried the quite time game...I've tried the it's mommy's turn thing, I've tried all that...the only thing she understands as quite time is "nap" lol
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My son stopped napping at 2 ugh.. I SO wished he would have been a good napper - I miss my naps lol!~ and they were for me too!~ you could never tell he needed a nap - he is like an energizer bunny
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• my 5 year-old rarely takes a nap and my 2 year-old NEEDs a nap so i guess both.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• DS is only 2 1/2, and even though he's been fighting naps, he still needs them. He's okay the days he misses the nap, it's the NEXT day that we really pay for it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011