I am having a HARD TIME potty traing my 5yr old son. he has #1 down pack But #2 is another issue. he does take miralax for constipation due to surgery when he was 1day old(bowel porferation)a small hole in his intestines ,which was corrected due to surgery.HELP!!!!!!!he knows were the poop goes he just want make a deposit...i have even gotten a book from the library about pooping on the potty.still has not work.any one with any helpful suggestions will be greately appreciated.

babycakes240

Asked by babycakes240 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he still wear diapers or pull ups at all?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• THANK YOU for responding!!!!NO, he is wearing underwears now..
    babycakes240

Comment by babycakes240 (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Have you tried making him clean it up>? my son was very particular about the potty itself, the small one was TOO HARD and the big one is too hard and he literally would rather have an accident and change himself.. but it took him telling me it was too hard to "get it" since we had already tried 3 different types of potties by then - We talked about rashes and I have heard of some parents making for harder trained children get in the shower/colder water to let them know this isn't ok - this seems a little longer than most to not "get it" have you talked to his Dr ?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Have you tried a reward? I heard of one mom on here who had a big reward, put it on a high shelf, and said the child could have it after he went to the potty for a week. You could give stickers for each day. It worked well for her. It was enough to get over that last hump and it was an older child. Stay calm and do not punish the child for any reason. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes i've tried the stickers reward,no luck.i really appreciate your advice about staying calm, and do not punish(it can be overwhelming) for me sometimes.i will keep trying and being patient!!!!!
    babycakes240

Comment by babycakes240 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would ask your pedi.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 6:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• In my answer the stickers were just to get through the week to the BIG reward. Just want to make sure you saw that.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• thats a special situation, at home try to practice in the living room, send him to the bathroom before and after any activity or day out . The point is to mantain the diaper dry. keep it up...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2011