Puppy & worms adult content

How long did it take your puppy to get completely rid of their worms after treatment? So far it's been a week and she is still pooping out dead ones...soooooo grosssss!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Pets

• Oh . . my . . when my Dig had them, they came out alive! AHHHHHH! We had to treat twice with her. call your vet. :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If you're seeing dead worms then that means it's working. Dewormers generally work within half an hour of giving it to the dog. If there are a lot and you're really concerned then you should call your vet.
    ANL221

Answer by ANL221 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• at least they're dead!! I would call and ask the vet how long it should take...my dogs never had worms.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My husband is a vet student and he says it depends on how wormy they were. You may want to get it dewormed again if it was really, wormy. If the puppy's belly was super swollen it probably had a lot of worms and may need another treatment.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 9:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree it depends on how badly infested the dog is. Also be sure you are dosing properly, some dewormers require dosing over several days. Usually you want to deworm again after a couple of weeks in case more worms hatch. Be sure to use a good flea preventative since this is usually where the tape worms come from. Good luck!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 9:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I never actually saw any worms from my personal dogs, but they were given deworming meds each time they got their puppy shots.

When I was fostering a puppy that I found along the highway, she was FULL of tapeworms. She was pooping them out still alive! I don't remember what brand of dewormer she was given the first time, but she was still pooping out live worms a couple of days later. The second time, they gave her Droncit (I think that is the name of it). For a couple of days after that, she was pooping dead worms then they were completely gone. I personally wouldn't trust ANY of the OTC dewormers...I'd only use vet-prescribed ones and follow the vet's orders.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• worms don't alwyas just come from not being clean, they said most puppies are born with them
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I give heartgaurd and works like a charm. I don't like the shot they have now for dogs because my dog had worms for months and treatment took forever. This way every month they have the heartgaurd and treats worms at teh same time.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• well dont have dogs but you could keep it clean and you wont have that problem from marivel718@yahoo.com
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011