Scheduled C-section Birth Plan?!

I am making my scheduled c-section birth plan list right now, and I was wondering if any of you ladies that had a scheduled c-section did this, and if you did what was some of the things you put on yours? Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thank you :)

As in ideas or suggestions I mean, like who you would like in the room with you, if you want to hold the baby before it was taken out of the room, ETC.

PrdWifeNMom07

Asked by PrdWifeNMom07 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My DD was scheduled. In the hospital I delivered in, you could have 2 people in the OR with you. Of course, my SO.. And then I chose his mom. I love his mom, she is wonderful, and she told me that if she could be there to see her be born, ot would mean a lot to her. Also, she had already had 2 c-sections herself, and witnesses her sisters 2. So i knew she wouldnt freak out, and i knew that my SO would feel good knowing his mom was there too. It upset my mom, but i told her that SO needed her there. As soon as I got to the OR, they handed me an iPod with all different kinds of music, and asked what I would like. I chose classical music. I also told SO that his job is to never let our baby out of sight. They took her out of me, cleaned her up, i was able to hold her for a few minutes, then they took her out to be bathed, SO went with her, and his mom stayed and kept me calm. It worked out great! Do whatever keeps you calm!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i had a scheduled c-section with my 3rd daughter, but there was really no plan involved. just picked a day during my 39th week and a time, went to the hospital and had it done. lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I am avoiding c-section as much as I can. But If I were to have a scheduled one I would put some things in there that you would for a natural birth. Do you want music played? You could ask them to have a special playlist play for you in the operating room. A friend of mine did that and she said it made for a more relaxed experience.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I had two C's. I avoided birth plans because a few Labor and Delivery Nurses actually told me that the plans annoyed them, and the Dr's orders came higher of priority list. :(

In any event, there was not much for me to have control over for the scheduled C besides who would be in the room. You can't hold the baby right after because you have IV's and you need to be stiched up, so all of the sheeting needs to stay in tact. You can decide, though, who will go with the baby and nurse to clean up the baby while you are finishing in the room.

They bring the baby to you as soon as they can, and you are able to sit up, hold the baby, and try to nurse.

Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• my plan was knock me out lol i also put that is baby was hunger not to wate till i walk up to let hubby feed him a bottle
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 5:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My 1st C was an emergency C and my 2nd was planned but I didn't have a plan...other than a tubal afterwards. =)

Congrats!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Mine wasn't scheduled but there isn't a whole you actually get to control. lol when you have C-section you are only allowed one person in the room. I'd guess if you are married or involved with the dad, it would be your husband you'd want with you. You can't hold the baby right after it comes out because they do all the weighing and check vitals and clean them off. You are also being stiched up and will be numb from the chest down. Once they get the baby checked out they will let whoever is in the room with you hold him. My fiance brought the baby down so i could give him a kiss and then as they were wheeling me out back to my recovery room they put him in my arms. They came back about an hour later and asked if they could take him to be bathed and for his circ. I went ahead and let them just to get it out of the way but most will let you wait until the next day. After that periodically come get him to check his vitals, but
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• you're pretty much on your own after that. Everything is kinda up to you. but you'll be sooo very tired it won't really matter. Lol
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• One thing I am going to specify (since when my SIL had her son in feb 2010, and had a horrible experience with the drs and nurses..) is that I absolutely DO NOT want the baby being bottle fed before I nurse him. They can feed using a medicine cup, and make the baby work for the food. This prevents latching confusion, and my first DS had no trouble sipping from the cup the nurse offered him. My nephew refused to latch because he was given the bottle right away instead of waiting for his mom to recover, and I'm mortified that the hospital would even do this, considering they know how important breast feeding is for newborns.

Another thing is that I want the catheter removed as soon as possible, to encourage me to get up and move around. I want off pain killers as soon as I can get off them too...I come from a family full of drug addicts, and I've managed to avoid them my whole life, I don't want to wind up addicted now.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't have any of this written down, but I've discussed it with my husband so he's aware of my wishes. Sometimes when you come out of surgery you're less adamant about things you really want because of the pain and drugs, so it's a good idea to make sure your SO knows what you want. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011