mama potty training a boy

i am trying to potty train my son. i dont know how 2 even begin. seems like i have tried everything. i dont know what 2 do next. girls were one thing they could watch mom and see how its done. but a boy is totally different. any advice and tactics are welcome

sae931

Asked by sae931 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I haven't got to that point, but I do know you're supposed to have them pee sitting down first. And to avoid sprays have them sit backwards, as the spray guard can "pinch" delicate boy parts. I've heard if you let them pee standing up right away, it's even harder to get them to sit for the pooping part.

When it comes time to stand for peeing, cheerios in the toilet gives them a target to aim for. And keep bleach wipes handy, because there will be hits and misses.

I have 3 boys, all under 20 months, so guess how much fun I'll be having soon.
    mommyonhawaii

Answer by mommyonhawaii at 10:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I'm in the process of potty training my son also and its a working progress. You have to stay constant and don't give up. My sister told me to try underwear on the weekend so he can get the feel of them. I don't know if that will help or not if you find something to do please let me know. And also don't rush your child be patience.
    lovely

Answer by lovely at 10:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• What worked best for my son was using the real potty with a step stool and a seat adapter (the kind that didn't have the winky guard). He did NOT want to sit on a little potty at all lol. We're pretty open here so he saw me and hubby both using the potty, we started him sitting down and one day around 4-ish he just decided to start peeing standing up on his own. Originally we started at 2, but he just wasn't ready so I let it go. Once he was 3 we started again. Peeing came pretty naturally, to get him to poop we ended up putting a dish of individually wrapped life savers on the sink and whenever he pooped he got a piece of candy. Then at the end of the week if he hadn't had any accidents he got a toy. By the time the candy dish was empty he was done having accidents all together! My biggest advice, don't let someone push you to potty train him at 2, some kids just aren't ready yet. Good luck!!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• One last tip, we tried those pull-ups things but he just thought of them as a diaper. Putting them in big boy underwear helps get their head in the game but they are messy, messy, messy. We ended up getting the old-fashioned undies that were plastic on the outside and cloth padded on the inside. Then you can just toss them in the wash when he has an accident and they feel horrid when he goes in them.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My son was easiser to train than my daughter. How old is your boy? Don't start too early; every child is different but I cringe when I read on this site that parents are pushing their 2 year olds to potty train; they may not be ready yet.

My son enjoyed doing target practice with Cheerios in the toilet. He was trained in less than 2 weeks and once he was, it was both day and night. He never had a kid's potty seat; always used the regular toilet. Pull-ups didn't help since he thought of them as no different than a regular diaper. He was trained to poop a few months before he trained to pee.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2008