Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps


How do I find out who claim my child on their taxes? This is the second time I calledIRS and they could'nt help me.

Answer Question

Asked by mamaofficer at 5:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 31 (50,120 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Keep calling until they tell you. That is such bull. Sorry girl

    Answer by ochsamom at 6:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • Well, who would have access or know their ssn? It will take a while for the IRS to know who claimed your children.

    Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • My pocketbook was stolen and I just got his new card which was in there at the time.

    Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • You need to file your return on paper and wait it out. They will contact you and the other person for information. It takes months however, there isn't much you can do. They cant verify on the phone because they don't know if its fraudulent so it takes time. People make social security number errors on their returns all the time. It's a typing error. Sorry not much more you can do other than wait.

    Answer by chgomom at 6:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • My purse was stolen and someone did the same to me. I.r.s made me prove to be her mom then told me nothing else. Two months later they sent me my income tax check, but never told me anything.

    Answer by Kimberly71682 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • They will not tell you who claimed your son. You need to mail in your 1040, you cannot efile. Include proof that he lived with you 50% or more of the time. You will either get your money right away because the proof you sent was valid, or they will start on audit on both you and the other person.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.