Can you learn to love someone?

This question has confused me quite a bit overtime. I just saw a question that triggered my thoughts. Can you be with someone for a long period of time and not love them?

NayleeCraw_x

Asked by NayleeCraw_x at 6:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• You can learn to care about someone, but not love them, or truly love them like they deserve.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Love is something you choose to do, or don't do. Love is so much more than the "touchy feely" thing you feel when you first started dating.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Isn't that what happens when you have a friend that you care about on a friend level and then by spending time with them you realize you've come to love them? On the other hand.. if you're with someone because of selfish reasons, I don't think you'll ever be able to give yourself to them the way that you do when you love someone. So IMO it really depends on the situation.. Maybe it can only happen when it's accidental..?
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i could never be with someone i wasn't madly in love with. it's not fair to anyone involved. No, love is not learned. It's a deep, spiritual bond that just happens and binds the two. That cannot be taught or learned
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yea but its more of a loveless marriage.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes. Love is a choice. Feelings come and go, but to love is to be committed to seeing to it that the object of your love becomes the very best person he can be. You see, real love is more about the other person than it is about you.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think you can learn to love someone. Ultimately love IS a choice. You choose to act lovingly towards someone, to show you care, to be selfless even when you are tired, upset, etc. Feelings can come and go - but Love, that's a choice you make! :)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think many people can be with someone for a long time and not love them. I wouldn't want to live like that though.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't think love is learned; it just ... is.
    melly_v88

Answer by melly_v88 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011