• In the Spotlight:

please help...i'm in agony

I was at the hospital thursday bc i thought i was in labor...turns out i was having contractions but not regularly i was not dialated any but they told me i was starting labor to go home and wiat until the contractions were 4 mins apart for at least an hour. I do not feel contractions in my tummy, the only pain i feel is in my back, the contractions that the monitor at the hospital picked up i did not even realize i had bc i'm so used to having them i thought it was normal back pain....this has been going on for almost 2 weeks now but bc they are not regular and i am not dialated the hospital will not keep me -the pain is terrible tonight and i am afraid i have been in active labor and my cervix just isn't opening...has anyone had a similar experience..please help i'm miserable and don't know what to do anything you can offer will help...i'm desperate:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Take a warm bath and some Tylenol...it won't work miracles but it will help some. I had terrible back labor with my first. :( :( It is NO fun! Unfortunately if the hospital won't keep you, you may just have to wait until the contractions are coming as close together as the hospital requested. But if it stays unbearable for too long, I would say go back to the hospital.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My cousin had the same thing, she had back pains for days but the hospital kept turning her away. On the third day her mother brought her in and demanded they check her and she was finally dilating. But, she laid in the floor crying for nearly all three days! If you are in that much pain I would go back and get checked again, but most hospitals won't admit you until you are 4cm. I hope things get better for you! Good luck with your little one.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I would definately try some tylenol to see if it took the edge off. If you can handle walking, do it! It will help move things along. Some people like using an exercise ball.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Im sorry to hear that. Just remember, if the pain is so bad, then the hospital HAS TO keep you in there. there is nothing they can do about it, because you are the one paying for it ;)

And btw. "aliceryannesmom" said to take a warm bath. Might be careful with that. A warm bath can cause to get you in labor faster than you want to. But if you want to get it over with soon, then this warm bath helps. Also if you can handle it, then have sex. Sex and a warm bath (maybe even at the same time) helps miracles is what my midwife says ;)

good luck!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• If you really are in unbearable pain I say you go back and demand to be admited! Make a sene if you have to. Maybe they can induce you with pitocin to getthings going quicker and at least you will be able to get an epidural for the pain. Remember, the sqweeky wheel gets the grease, and the screaming pregnany woman gets the hospital's attention.
    monkeytrianer

Answer by monkeytrianer at 10:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Move your hips, and relax, take a warm bath. Being stressed out about the pain isn't going to make the contractions come any closer together, and you won't progress as quickly. Try to divert your mind to a peaceful and more calming state as best you can, that can lessen the pain as well. Take some tylenol if need be, and try to be patient. You really don't want pitocin, it will increase your chances for a c-section, so just try to wait it out and progress as much at home before you go to the hospital. Your chances of having a complication free birth will go way up if you do things that way.
    Anonymous

• I didn't want any medication in case I needed medicine in the hospital, but I had back labor, too, and the pain was pretty bad. Mostly, my hips and my back were just aching really strong all the time (not coming and going, just achy constantly). Like you, I didn't even know I was having real contractions. I walked A LOT, and squatted down while holding on the back of my couch. A warm bath/shower and sex does help to relieve the pain usually. When I actually felt my contractions, they were 3 minutes apart and so bad I couldn't stand up anymore (and was still only 2cm dialated!) but my water broke very shortly after that. Also, be aware that your water sac might leak and not break all the way, so if you feel warm and wet at all down there, head back to the hospital.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• CALL YOUR DOCTOR

Answer by admckenzie at 11:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I was the same way for 3 weeks with my son until they decided to induce me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:07 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• i had the same thing happen to me. went in on a sunday irregular contractions and not dilating. they sent me home so on monday my mom and a friend of mine walked around all day at diffrent stores. that night contractions got stronger and closer together so tuesday morning i headed to l&d to get checked and i was 5 cm 100% effaced and my son was born wed at 1247am. so i suggest walking
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2008