Protective boyfriend?

is it normal for guys to get protective over their pregnant girlfriends? cuz everytime i seem to tell my boyfriend that im gonna go to the store to get rice or something he just tells me to wait til he gets here, i mean today i told him im gonna go get blue fingernail polish tomorrow from cvs and this was his response "how bout i go get it for you?" i told him because i didnt even know what color blue i wanted then he told me "why dont we just go on thursday? you know how i get im nervous everytime you go out without me or your dad around"

i mean dont get me wrong its cute that he worries about me so much but cvs is just right up the street plus its right next to my friends school :/

so anyway is this normal for guys to get like this? and how should i deal with this?

Lizzypuppylove

Asked by Lizzypuppylove at 6:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• That's a little overkill... What about when you go into labor..? Is he gonna make you wait to go to the hospital til he gets home to go with you? By then it may be too late!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I thin it's normal for him to care about you more intently. I think he's a sweetheart & there should be more men like him.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I was pregnant 4 times, and my husband never acted like that. I suspect there's some other reason for his concern other than he's just being protective.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Mine did it too! Not so much when I first was pregnant but at about 5 months along he'd go a little crazy if I went to the store or even walked to an in-out station ACROSS THE STREET! Hahaha I think men are just afraid of a little 'ol pregnant woman walking around without their strong masculine man around! lol Just talk to him about it and see what he says.
    HypoHeartBaby

Answer by HypoHeartBaby at 6:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• He's either overprotective or starting the "control" thing. Either way, it's not funny. You need to be able to go out alone unless you are in a bad neighborhood. When my abusive ex started, he would take me to the store. When I demanded that I get to go alone, that I needed "space", he actually timed me. If I took longer than he thought I should, it was 20 questions. Who did I see, who did I talk to, what took so long. Then he would take my car keys so that I couldn't leave. We lived 15 miles out of town. Just let him know that you can do some things on your own, your mom taught you to look both ways before crossing the street.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 6:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• its normal I think. but just let him know you know his cell phone number haha that he doesn't have to carry you where ever you go.
    melly_v88

Answer by melly_v88 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• bdflykisses- lol me and him talked about that already he said if he's gone at work or driving home and i go into labor he just wants me to go to the hospital no matter what
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• His first kid? If so, he's probably pretty nervous and doesn't want ANYTHING to happen, and he thinks that if someone else is with you, nothing will happen. I think some guys get like this. Sure, its cute and awesome he cares so much for you, but it can get annoying. Its not like you're a porceline doll that's going to break! LOL

Sit down, and have a chat with him. Maybe find out exactly WHY he's acting like this!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• That's good. lol. Glad to see he's got some sense =)
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• lol well im 22 weeks along so i can understand he just wants me safe...and my dads the same way if i take to long at the store he'll text my phone and see where i am, my neighborhood isnt bad persay its not the safest but its not as dangerous as the neighborhood my boyfriend lives in
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011