Did anyone use Cloth diapers?

I am thinking of using cloth diapers when the my baby comes and I was just wondering opinions on them. Are they worth it? Are they expensive to buy? Did you feel they were easier then disposable?

firsttimer338

Asked by firsttimer338 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We tried, honest we did. :o) We even had a service. It was just so icky. There are lots of new things for babies now, maybe it won't be so bad.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Cloth diapers are cheaper in the long run unless you use a service to clean them. I had cloth diapers for mine. When I was broke, I had to wash them by hand. Now that was not fun.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 6:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• They can be quite expensive, and in my opinion, kinda gross. My mom tried it as well and said she just couldn't deal with it.
    Anonymous

• I had no choice but to use cloth diapers, and it was just a part of the daily routine. I had a diaper pail which I kept in the bathtub. I rinsed poopy diapers in the commode and flushed the solids. I kept a solution of detergent and a little bleach in the pail. When it was time to wash the diapers, I poured the water and diapers into the washer and set it on the spin cycle to get rid of the excess water. Then washed them. It was absolutely no problem at all.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I am currently diapering 3 kids on about $150 worth of diapers. It saves TONS of money! Come join the group Cuties With Cloth Booties and see what cloth is all about =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• my husband and I were both cloth diapered as babies. We wanted to give it a try but it just didn't work out. It seemed overwhelming to us both.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I LOVED mine! Sooooo much better than disposables, IMO. No harder, definitely not more expensive, and much better for baby and the environment. I spent like $120 total on 24 prefolds, 4 covers, a pack of Snappies, and 5 Bum Genius pocket diapers. Those lasted until DD was about 2, but the Bum Genius would probably still fit her because they're one size (we're potty training, though). I highly recommend them. Check out the cloth diapering groups on CM, they're AMAZING! Also, I would recommend finding a sampler package if you can't decide what kind(s) you'll like best.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I did back in 1987! Don't remember how they were because it was a service. Did'nt really care for it but i think it was a gift. With my last 3, i was very happy to use regular diapers!!
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 6:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i tried them. i had the best kind too. it was just too much of an inconvenience to keep doing loads of laundry. i was done with them within a month
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I used them. I thought they were well worth the cost. Yes, they can get expensive, but in the long run, I found I saved money. There are different types available. All in ones, referred to as AIO, are basically like a disposable, but made out of cloth. These are what I used most.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2011