Dilemma rama.... what to do?

19 hours before a surprise trip the kids know nothing about (not like disney land but a hotel suite it's too late to cancel, water park passes, dinner reservations, etc) 1 of the 2 kids was ridiculously disobedient. (my daughter, 4 1/2) stole a yogurt from the fridge and snuck it down to her playroom and did a very messy teaparty w/ her dolls. She used her play kitchen utensils to smear yogurt all over the cups & saucers and then tried to hide it and lied about it. I didn't find out about it til I noticed the cat covered in it since he had been the first to discover it. I am furious and don't know what to do... she'll be 5 in May, she knows better. Do I cancel the whole outing and BEG the hotel to have mercy on us financially? (Since it's got a waterpark they have a strict 24 hour cancellation policy due to lifeguard staffing) thoughts?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Kids are gonna do things that they aren't supposed to do. It's especially irritating when you feel so happy for planning a wonderful time for them! I'd say go! Those kids aren't the only ones who will benefit from a vacation! Make sure she has some restrictions due to her behavior, but don't do anything you wouldn't normally do to punish her.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No. You spank her butt and make her help as much as she can with the clean-up.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I say punish the child until its time to go, and take the trip. Why should the other child be denied? Great Wolf Lodge? Sounds fun, but I don't think you will get mercy from them.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree with NannyB
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would make her clean the mess, tell her that you are still going on the trip and ONLY because you can't get your money back. BUT, if there is a nex time that she does that, you will cancel, regardless of whether you can get your money back or not. Then don't bring it up again for the whole trip. Let it go. Have fun.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 6:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I also agree with Nanny B.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Just go. She was playing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would still go. What she did is bad, but it would be worse if she did it for the third time after being caught twice before. All kids are going to have great moments of disobedience. It's part of growing up. Punish her for now, but don't take the trip away from everyone.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• no dont cancel it . my grandson is 4 and hes always in the fridge. findanother way to punish her maybe a timeout or a time without tv but to cancel a trip sounds kind of harsh.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 4:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Make her clean up, and give her little jobs to do just before leaving, I don't see why you should all miss out because your little madam decided to host a messy tea party!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 8:04 AM on Apr. 6, 2011