Kindergarten~Morning class or Afternoon class??

I am enrolling my 5 year old daughter in public kindergarten this week, she will start in Aug./Sept. 2011. I would Love to hear your opinions, experiences, thoughts, ideas and recommendations! I'm not sure which class time slot to try to choose, we have to put our request in by Friday to be entered into the lottery for the time slot that we want! What do you all think??

Truluv4ever

Asked by Truluv4ever at 6:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is currently in afternoon and that works great for us. I work from home and have a younger son, none of us are morning people, they sleep until about 8-8:30 and sometimes they leave me alone until 9 or so. I get them a nice breakfast, I take a shower, get ready, they play, I get some work done, get them dressed for the day, an early lunch before the bus comes at 12...now that the weather is starting to turn I take my son and the dog out back to play and run for a while, come back in, settle in, get more work done, etc...then the bus drops her off at 4....snack, play time then dinner and a bath. Works for us...but if I wasn't working, I could see how morning might be better to get it out of the way and have all afternoons free...

I dread next year when she'll have to be up and out early for 1st grade...

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Mine had all day kindergarten but if I had to choose I would choose morning.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Mine all went to full day kindergarten, but you can pick what best fits your schedule.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Do you think she's more likely to be attentive in the morning or afternoon? I personally went for afternoon for my son's Pre-K class and loved it, because I didn't have to change any of our sleeping schedules.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Whichever works best for you. But I will say that my youngest's headstart teachers have a better time with the morning class vs the afternoon class. Apparently they're a bit more rowdy in the afternoon class. Of course, it could just be those kids.

It worked better to put mine in morning class vs afternoon.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If I had to choose right now I'd put my daughter in the morning class. She's super active and super strong willed. She also gets real cranky and grumpy in the afternoon, but refuses to take a nap. We still have another year though before we have to choose. Around here it's a lottery for the all day kindergarten. When the time comes I'll be crossing my fingers and hoping that she gets into an all day class, otherwise I'll be going for mornings.

My son started last year, in a different school district, and it was a first come, first served basis for all day, but the tuition was $3,500 for all day public kindergarten (WA is not required to provide anything before 1st grade).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I purposely requested mornings for both my children - my oldest was still taking naps (1:00 on the nose) every day and my youngest was in physical therapy sessions which took place 3x/week in the afternoons so mornings were the logical choice for us.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would base it on her schedule first. Is she an early riser and happy in the morning? Does she still nap or get over tired in the afternoon? Then, would you like to have her home in the afternoon to be free to do as you and she want? Are there other children in your family who will be napping, etc. Just things to think about. Our kids went full day kindergarten.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My state has mandatory all day kindergarten.
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My kids had all day - no choice. If I had to choose I would go with morning. It gets everyone used to getting up and moving and leaves the rest of the day for appointments, naps, trips to the zoo, etc…
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2011