Have you ever taken a dog or cat (not a stray) to a shelter/humane society? Why?

I will not bash you for your answers.
I just want to know out of curiosity how many people have taken a pet to the shelter and what caused them to make that decision.

If you have time I also want to know...
How old was the pet?
How did you get the pet?
How long had you owned the pet before giving it up?

ANL221

Asked by ANL221 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Pets

• I've never surrendered or abandoned a pet to the shelter or otherwise. I've kept every pet I've ever had until the day they died. I have gone to the shelter and adopted and fostered and found homes for homeless shelter animals. I also spend a lot of my spare time hand king shelter dogs at adoption events. Most shelters are a terrible place for an animal to be, the environment is pure stress.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 9:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Wow!!! anonymous really! The cat could have been adopted out. BTW cats do not attack kids or anyone else unless they r being hurt themselves!!!! That poor cat never had a chance. I hope for other animals sakes that u never have anymore pets!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My husbands grandma (my kids great grandma) we took her cat to a no kill pound I think last summer, approx. she was going from an independent apartment to a partial care facility. for some WEIRD reason, they allow under 20 pound dogs but no cats.

It was a house cat, maybe 4-6 years old..... we tried briefly (craigslist, word of mouth, etc) to find it a home but realized the shelter could do a better job than we could
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• When I was younger, we had to take my kitten to a shelter. I'm not exactly sure why, but I remember crying the night before and after.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I never gave one to the shelter, but I have brought a puppy home that was abandoned on the side of the road, I still have her she is 3 now. I have also brought a stray cat into my home, but she passed away due to sickness..So sad how some people can just abandon an animal and not care...Especially the ones that I found because they were/are sooo sweet!
    urbuttacup88

Answer by urbuttacup88 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• NO I would take animals out of that place and find them homes because I coudn't keep them.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yes. My 11 year old cat began attacking our toddler at the time. We'd tried just about everything. I knew no one would adopt her so when I brought her in, I asked if they could just put her to sleep rather than have her freaked out in a cage indefinitely. (I know sounds cruel but a cage would be worse). They put her to sleep within two weeks. It was agonizing and I'm still sick about it. That was 5 years ago. The animal world is a cruel one. She was a kitten off a farm when I got her.
    Anonymous

• Yes. Cat #1 we took to a shelter that advertised to be no-kill, but killed him within 24 hours of my surrendering him. I don't know how old he was, we got him from a former co-worker that didn't want him anymore. He was an ultimatum. He was pooping all over the house and my son had just learned to crawl. It was either surrender him or my husband was going to leave him in a park somewhere. The cat had no front claws. I always regret that one.

Cat #2 & #3 came with cat #1. They stayed with us for a while longer, but for their own safety they had to be surrendered too (to a different shelter). My son had learned to walk/run (about 18 months) and thought it was fun to grab a cat's tail and go running around the house. These two also didn't have front claws so had no real way of protecting themselves. THEY got rehomed in about a month after I surrendered them.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes. I had a dog that started nipping at my son. He was only about 7 at that time, and he is legally blind. I could not have a dog that was almost as big as him trying to bite him. I took him to the shelter and said that he was biting at my young son and that he needed to be with a family with no little kids. I did not have any friends at the time that did not have kids that could take him. We had gotten the dog as a puppy from my son's half-sisters, and he was a little over a year old. I hated to give him up, but it came down to my son's safety.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 7:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I had a dog that was a year and a half, but he started fighting other dogs, growling at the kids when they walk past and as a parent my first job is to protect my kids. I couldn't take any chances.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2011