Inexpensive/Home remedies for poison oak??

This is the 239765th time I've had this crap and I'm so over it.

ANL221

Asked by ANL221 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Health

• I was recommended vinegar as a treatment when I had poison oak. It seemed to work pretty well, but boy didn't it sting! If I had had it, I would have used aloe, but I didn't have access at the time. The key is not to scratch. Wash with soap and water, but don't let it dribble or pour over other skin, because the oil can remain on your skin. Make sure to thoroughly clean whatever clothing is worn at time of exposure. The Urushiol(SP?) Oil remains active long after it's left the plant. Hot showers help, but don't take a bath because it can linger on the surface of the water and spread on your skin when you get up out of the tub.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The best thing for it is a product called Technu, which is available at Walmart. They make a wash which you can use right after you've been exposed that will keep it from breaking out. They also make an ointment to put on it after it does. My son is highly allergic, and we keep Technu on hand at all times.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It doesn't cure it but it makes it itch less! Oatmeal baths!
    HypoHeartBaby

Answer by HypoHeartBaby at 7:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• This is what I do for poison ivy. I scratch it up so it's open. then I pour alcohol on it. The sting feels really good on the unbearable itch. It also makes it dry out faster.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Alcohol.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 9:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• no idea... good luck
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011