When do you think its ok for under 10 to wear makeup ?

i'm asking beacuse ever year my local newspaper dose a cute baby and toddler comp you go down and have your baby photo taken and all the baby go in the newspaper the most voted for baby or toddler wins . i allways put my boys in it you kid can only go in it till they start school at 5 but when i look at paper i'm suprised how meny little girls have make up on i even seen one girl with fake eye lashes ! i'm totaly agest that

however my 7 year old daughter did ballet on stage at her dance school and every one of the girl put stage makeup on i was ok about that but there was no fake eye lashes or fundashon

so when do you think makeup on under 10's is ok and whn do you not ?

feralkitten

Asked by feralkitten at 7:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• When I just read the first line of your question my first thought was that it would only be for something like a recital where you need it for being on stage. Otherwise, the only other occasion I can think of is just playing dress up at home. When I was under 10 those are the only times I can remember being allowed to wear any makeup. There was no going out of the house in make up, or even wearing any to church or for special occasions at that age. And my mom certainly wouldn't have allowed it for photos. It's a shame that some people can't appreciate how beautiful, innocent and pure children are. Gosh, when I look at my dd's porcelain skin, bright rosy cheeks, and big blue eyes I can't imagine covering any of that with make-up.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• never. i agree with face painting at the fair, but that's about it. i believe in letting kids be kids.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!
    HypoHeartBaby

Answer by HypoHeartBaby at 7:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Never. That includes those parents who put their kid's in contests and put make-up their kid's and make them look like a foot and a half tall 30 y.o. NEVER put make-up on kid's. Your sending the WRONG signals to them and teaching them they arnt good enough the way they are in my opinion.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I let my girls who are under 10 wear chap stick or clear lip gloss. It makes them feel like they are getting to put on real lipstick without the color. Other than that I would say - no to make up.
    Young girls need to know they are beautiful just the way they are and don't need to hide behind some painted on mask.
    1Katrina

Answer by 1Katrina at 7:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• At ten I'd allow some very very light make up, but I think it's soooooooooo wrong in pagents and contests. I can't help but remember little JonBenet Ramsey. It makes me sick!
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 7:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• NO NO NOOOOOO, i think it is horrible, bad for their skin and it is bound to be annoying for them, ALTHOUGH if it was a fun sleepover with friends for example and they are doing makeovers, then ok. but not putting on make up for school, shopping etc.
    seans_mummy

Answer by seans_mummy at 5:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I agree we try are hardest for our 11yr old not to shes alloud lipgloss and nail polish (but has been coming home from school with eyeliner etc. on) My 4 yr old has those playmakeup kits but only in the house shes alloud to use them if we leave or go somewhere she has to wash her face
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 8:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If it's a school pagent I would allow things like glitter and lipsmakers but other than that ....nothing.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• For a news paper picture or pageant maybe, but never fake eyelashes.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2011