When is a cut deep enough to need stitches?

My 3yo dd had a cut the other day and I thought she might need stiches but the rest of our family thought differently. I'm just wondering if there is a "rule" about when to get stiches/go to the ER.

CrazyMommy87

Asked by CrazyMommy87 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• If the skin wont stay together on its own or if the bleeding wont stop, then do the stitches. Although, I haven't had stitches since I needed them in my mouth YEARS ago because I am satisfied with my super glue. LOL. One of my kids...yeah...I would probably take in.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• When in doubt I would take my kids in. Once they needed stitches and a couple of times they did not. I always got nervous when the bleeding was severe and the area of the cut was pretty big.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Stitches can actually minimize scarring. Also, some wounds do not heal properly if their is flesh hanging. There are several needs for stitches. Here's a really helpful article to help you figure it out.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4690555_cut-wound-needs-stitches.html
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If the cut is in a critical area--such as near a larger artery--wrist, neck, inner thigh, a high pressure location such as in the head or face, or in a vulnerable area such as your chest or abdomen, and the cut is deep (as in a sharp object became embedded) AND/OR the cut is jagged, wide, gaping, and not smooth like an incision would be, then it will need stitches.

A clean incision will close up on it's own with direct pressure and elevation. Depending on it's location will determine the number of stitches will be needed and weather they will need to be removed at a later date or will dissolve on their own.

I was a Paramedic in Boston for 9 years, and hold degrees in Sports Medicine and Exercise Physiology, I think my ACTUAL experiences in the field trump a PRE med STUDENT'S (which is basically a Biology degree) !! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It really depends on where the cut is and if it keeps bleeding or stops with pressure.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i will mention that some cuts do need help with clotting if bleeding does not stop. but bleeding is always stopped before stitches are performed, and they are performed for the reasons i said above. there should be a 5 min rule on bleeding
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i don't really care if my answer was something that someone didn't want to hear. it doesn't change the fact that it's a medical fact. i'm a pre med student. i'm sure i know a hell of a lot more than whoever voted down my answer
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• here's a fact. no cut actually need stitches. stitches are not medically necessary. they are cosmetic. the human body is designed to clot and heal on it's own. the reason for stitches it to leave a more sightly scar. they're just to make the scar less ugly.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011