About how long do you let your baby fuss before going to pick him/her up?

Theres nothing really wrong with them other than they want to be held.

I get yelled at all the time for not letting mine fuss a bit before going to thier "rescue" LOL

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 7:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Until 6 months I would go right away and after 6 months depending on the situation as well. Babies/infants whine and cry for good reasons not just to get our attention. I don't believe in CIO because I want my baby to know and feel like they can rely on and trust me that I/we are there for him. Just my way of parenting that has worked for me I know everyone has their own opinions and own rules. I have two grown children and they rarely ever cried and now my 5 1/2 month old is doing well because of me getting him when he is fussing right away.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 9:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Under 6 months: I didn't wait.
    Older than six months: depended on they type of cry and the circumstances.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Usually as soon as it is practical. If I am sitting right there, I will pick her up. If I am doing dishes or something, I will wait until I rinse what I have done, and then go get her.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I respond immediately. It is her way of communicating with me and needing to be held IS A NEED at this age.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 8:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• HypoHeartBaby - you are teaching your child that you are not there for them and no one cares.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the age and why they were crying. I would let them fuss for a few minutes at bedtime because sometimes that was their way of settling down, but never more than 10-15 minutes even as a toddler.

Answer by missanc at 9:05 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Hypo, you let your child cry for 2 or 3 HOURS before responding? Am I reading that right? Shame on you!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My 3 week old, maybe a few seconds. I don't go charging right in there because as you know sometimes they fuss a bit in their sleep then go right back to sleep.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I never let them fuss at all. I always picked them right up, every time. Now they are 15, 8 and 5. They are fine. I'm happy I did that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• When she was a baby, right away. I don't think you can hold a baby too much in the first six months. Now that she is two I still go right away if she is crying unless she's just having a tantrum or something. When she is in bed for the night I only go in every five minutes or so if she calls for me, if she was really crying I would go immediately.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011