What is the chanve of a ct scan causing cancer in babies?

My 15 month old son had a ct scan done last Friday. They said they took 3 shots of his brain and it lasted ab 15-20 minutes.

I seen on the news that is causes cancer.

I was worried about him having a brain injury now I'm worried about this!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe if you get a ct scan several times a year every year for 5 or more years. Your kid's get more radiation from the TV, and microwave than they do from a single CT scan.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• There is no need to worry. One time isn't not going to cause cancer. Continued exposure is what puts you at risk.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cancer-risk-ct-scans-overestimated-study/story?id=12279890

mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It's not so much the CT scan itself but the radioactive dye they use. Did he have the dye or not? Most of the time they don't give the dye to children if they can possibly avoid it.

It's a good idea to avoid radiation whenever you can, but if he needed the scan the risk of cancer was outweighed by the benefit of knowing what was going on. You can reduce his risk of cancer by providing a very healthy diet full of fruits and veggies (especially dark colored ones) and limiting his exposure from now on.

I don't think you have anything to be worried about :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Really? Wow! I did not know that. That makes me feel a little better thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011