Do you think people who focus soley on their weight and their appearance lead empty lives?

I'm not talking just liking how you look. I'm talking about, that's all you ever talk about.. Like you can't go a day without bringing it up..Constantly taking pictures of yourself etc.

I just wonder this from time to time. If you are at the gym all the time, paying for surgery, and rediculous amounts on hair and cosmetics, etc. Where is the money and time for other things?

BEFORE YOU GO TO TOWN ON ME.....It's just something I've honestly wondered from time to time. I'm not saying it is or isn't a certain way!

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• i do think that some of these people are lacking something in their lives and fill it with this unhealthy habit.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 7:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes I think they do. Life is about SOO much more than how you look or how much you weigh. Anyone who says they wont love you or be with you because of weight is also shallow. What's on the inside of the person is what really counts in life. Not how you look or how much you weigh.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No I dont think so because in order to enjoy life you need to be healthy and to be healthy requires eating right and caring about your appearance.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 7:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I have watched men flex at themselves(not bodybuilders) in the mirror constantly. Woman taking pictures of themselves in the locker room and trying to find "fat" to squeeze. And if they find it they freak out.

I have had clients that paid $500 on their hair, but can't pay the power bill.

I have had friends that you can't seem to talk to them about anything else but fitness and appearance..
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I know a few people who are obsessed with how they look - working out, dieting, newest fashions, make up on before even thinking of leaving the house even to get the mail...

Yes, the ones I know live pretty sad and shallow lives. They are insecure and miserable empty shells of people who feed off of the energy (more over compliments and praise) of others. They do not have true self confidence or self love.

As good as they might look on the outside - they are ugly on the inside & I am glad that I am not one of those people.
    I do feel sorry for them & wish that some day they find the true meaning and understanding of beauty.
    1Katrina

Answer by 1Katrina at 7:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• christinahenry, I don't think you really took in the question.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think that some people do take it to an extreme, but not all. I agree with amberpaiz that sometimes they have something missing in their lives. Each of us have different priorities, while mine is my child and hubbs, others is themselves.
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 7:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• you have to read what she said they take it way beyond being healthy when thats all you can talk about think about it's no longer about eating right being healthy. It's an obsession and that isn't healthy. There is such a thing as too much exercise and such
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 7:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes , there is so much more to a person than what they look like and how much they weigh and what their clothing style is, now my DH will sit and take pictures of me all day long if I let him, (that is where most of the pictures of myself come from) but I like looking into the heart, I like to hear stories about their likes and dislikes and what kind of life they have lived, I want to pick people's brains. I could careless what their weight or appearance was.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 7:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think it's a self esteem issue rather than a shallow attitude in most cases although I'm sure there are narcissistic exceptions.

Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011