Missouri first state to cut federal stimulus to extended unemployment

Do you believe that 79 (1.5 years-ish)weeks is long enough to find another job (52 weeks in year)? Do you believe that this measure to cut extended unemployment has merit?

I was out of work for 9 months before finding the job I have now. Doesn't pay much but I'm working. A friend of mine looked for work for 22 months, but wouldn't accept anything lower than $30,000.

What is your opinion?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 7:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• There's many reason I call the state of Missouri MISERY. This is yet another. 79 weeks is PLENTY of time to fine ANY job. Maybe not the job you want but A job is better than NO job
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I was on the way home from work and heard NC is going to do the same thing. Yes, I think that 79 weeks is ample time to find employment of some kind. It might not be in your original field, but a job is a job. It will hold you over until.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We live in MO, and frankly if you want to work bad enough you will find it. 79 weeks should be ample time to find employment. If you're looking for a certain salary because you think you're worth it, ummm these days that's too bad, you should lower your standards and do what you have to do.
    My ex won't take other work just because he's union, and wants that 25+/hour job, so he sucks the life out of his unemployment until they call him back.. He has been sitting for 3 years now, and only working off and on just to keep his unemployment checks coming in... Meanwhile he's behind on Child support, and doesn't provide ins, but he can because he's doing the bare minimum and living with his fulltime working Mother...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Michigan just cut ours from 26 weeks to 20, even in Michigan, which is about as it gets for job markets, 79 weeks in INSANE. Talk about a drain on the system
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• MORE than enough time!! In some cases it's enough time to pursue a trade certificate or Associate's or Master's Degree--especially when completed online!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• there are jobs.
    people wont humble themselves to take them.
    it's way too long, for unemployment payments.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• 79 weeks is more than adequate...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It is more than sufficient. The longer payouts will only increase the Unemployment Insurance employers pay. Mine jumped to more than 6% and there has never been a claim. The money has to pay it has to come from somewhere...reduced wages, fewer jobs or higher costs to the consumer...pick your poison.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• 79 weeks is plenty of time to find a new job. If you really want to work you will take what you can get, especially in a downsliding economy. It may not be your dream job and you may not be getting paid what you would optimally like but that doesn't mean you can't find something
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Phew! I'm so glad that everyone else wrote what I was thinking!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2011