If you're in college NOW...

Are you attending a community(2yr) or university(4yr) or another variation? Are you going only online, only in person, or a mix? and what is your major/degree doing for? and why'd you choose it?

my college is on hold right now but when i was going i was doing business admin. for an associates degree at a 2yr comm. college but i really want a degree from a university.

NCmommie421

Asked by NCmommie421 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in

• I'd wait before going into a 4-yr commitment. I work for student financial services, and I'm having to give presentations about avoiding default. I even interviewed a few of the instructors on campus about the greatest fear of not finding a job. Their answer was that a four year was about personal development, not about job placement. This is not what I wanted to hear when 80% of our students are borrowing for their educational needs when job placement is a scary issue.

Please keep your costs low. Now-a-days, it's not about earning potential, but about just getting the job. Your chances of getting a job now is just as good with a 2yr than with a 4 yr. Experience is what matters most, not the degree.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 7:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• that's true i guess. the reason my college ed. is on hold is bc i owe back to financial aid $500(like 515 or 517 exactly) so i cant enroll in any more semesters til i pay that part back (my charges went over my fin. aid amount) it was a pell grant.
    NCmommie421

Comment by NCmommie421 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I attend a community college, but this has been my last semester. I have to take off a year for personal reasons, but I'm transferring to a university next year. None of my classes have been online, and my GPA has shot up since becoming a mom. I'm a nursing major, and I plan to become a certified nurse midwife.
    I wouldn't highly recommend a business degree. People with business degrees are a dime a dozen, as 10 years ago, they were all the rage, and now unemployment is as high as it is. Do you know what you actually want to do?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i have no idea. i want to work from home or work part time in a setting that is like actually going out and doing something not an office or a store, etc etc.

i picked a business AA bc it was general. thats not what i want to do, thats why im taking time off now(aside from the money)
    NCmommie421

Comment by NCmommie421 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I went to a community college for my associates...all my classes were on campus. For my bachelors I went to a local university and had a mix of online and on campus classes. For my Masters I will be doing an online program. I prefer on campus classes....I think they are easier because they are not as time consuming as online classes. I'll be doing an online program for my masters because of the program I want...it's not offered locally. My degree is in Nursing.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• the only class i have credit for w/ the 2yr school was online. i had another class it was also online but i dropped it bc i mean idk what i want to do...i've never taken an in person class and i guess im 'scared' to bc i dont like meeting new ppl and bc i'd have to find childcare for my son in order to go.
    NCmommie421

Comment by NCmommie421 (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I am graduating from a community college in May with an Associates Degree in Human Services. On May 31, I will be starting at a private university to get my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice. I was taking a mix of online and in class courses, at the university they will all be 7 week acclearated courses in a classroom.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i am a student bussuness trainning
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 6:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2011