So annoyed. I am the only parent that has a skinny kid?

My son in under weight so his doctor sent a percription to school for whole milk. The school nurse informed us that they only serve 2% and 1% milk and that I would have to send it with him or bring it to school. Am I the only one with a skinny kid who needs to gain weight?

sweetangie79

Asked by sweetangie79 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think they even MAKE whole milk in 4 oz sizes anymore

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• No my 6 year old daughter is very skinny, and the doctor prescribe to her pedia sure
    rainha

Answer by rainha at 7:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My kids are all thin, but I guess not to your extream. I swear mine are eating ALL THE TIME, but it is fruits and veggies so I don't complain.

I agree with Rainha about the pedia sure.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My oldest is skinny and so is my youngest but my middle dd is a little on the bigger side lol.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• my son is too skinny the doc hasnt said so but I know he is, so today I started giving him avacado, and may even give him whole milk, he is a very picky eater,
    roseym

Answer by roseym at 8:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I personally can't stand the taste of the lower fat milks. My son's adhd meds and his autism make him alot smaller. I too am a small woman. I just think it's crazy that the schools all do this now.
    sweetangie79

Comment by sweetangie79 (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Both my youngest kids, who are alost 5 & almost 6, are underweight. My daughter is almost 5 & weighs 29 lbs. Her Dr. is referring her a pediatric endocrinologist to be checked for any medical reason that could be causing her to be so low in weight. Both of them eat well when it's something they like, but otherwise they are a bit picky. We were told to give them whole milk, pudding, add butter & sour cream to baked potatoes... anything to help add some weight to them. Seems so odd in a society where a growing number of children are rapidly becoming obese & everyone is advising just the opposite.

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My mother mixed protein powder with my milk. I was a size 0 until I was 18 years old. So as long as he's otherwise healthy, just make sure he's eating enough :) You don't have to add fats if he gets enough protein. Milk, cheese, peanut butter or nutella, meats... You can add protein powder to milk, add ice cream and chocolate syrup, and blend it to make a high-protein milk shake!

An afternoon snack of a shake and peanut butter frosted graham crackers might do the trick!
    Kristin_Allen

Answer by Kristin_Allen at 8:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• my oldest is very skinny but the doctor never said anything about adding something to her eating. she is 7yrs and only 39lbs and 45inches, we just make sure she eats lots of healthy foods and the doctors are pretty happy with that.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• my son is 8 and he is 45 inches and weighs 43 pounds. he is growing very fast but slowly gaining weight. he was on the chubby side when he was a toddler but as he grows in height he looks skinnier. the dr said he is growing just fine on the height and weight charts though.
    rjsmomma521

Answer by rjsmomma521 at 8:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2011