Milk drying up and he's upset!!

I've gone to work lately which means my milk is almost gone. But he still won't take a bottle. He's up all hours because he won't take a bottle but whenever I offer to nurse him, he's screaming because he's not getting anything out of that? Should I do sippie cups? He's 6 months old but I'm desparate.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they have nipples that actually are like a mothers breast, maybe try that, it could be the nipple on the bottle, try to find the nipples that are close to a woman's breast and then warm it a little, good luck
    a_l_daigle

Answer by a_l_daigle at 10:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Maybe try to increase your supply. He really is too young to be without it. You should be pumping at work. Maybe eat more oatmeal, take some funugeek and increase your water intake.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I never could get my son to take a bottle. We tried every single one they make it seemed like! We started him on sippy cups at about 5 months or so. The one that I love love love is the Nuby brand sippy cup. It's the only thing that he has taken besides breastfeeding! It has a soft spout that will let the milk out only when it is pinched or bitten. It is great!
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• yeah, my son loves those Nuby nipple sippy cups thats what he uses now
    a_l_daigle

Answer by a_l_daigle at 11:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Can you try pumping at work, or is that not an option? My daughter would never take a bottle (with breast milk) when I had to go back to school so we used a soft nipple sippy cup and that worked really well for the short time I was gone. The more he nurses the more milk you will make and it is the best thing you can do for him if you can try to keep it up.
    chandelier01

Answer by chandelier01 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Can you not pump at work? Legally i'm pretty sure they HAVE to give you pumping breaks. You need to pump to keep your supply up! Even if your not getting any milk out while pumping, it's the stimulation that counts and keeps your body making milk. Do you HAVE to work? And if you do, do you have to work so much? They make a bottle that is shaped like a boobie, I dont know where you can get it but you can look into it. You could also look into finding a babysitter who nurses that can nurse your baby. If your baby wont take a bottle at all, it is pretty important for you to keep your milk supply up so he can eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2008